1. Default Summertrip 2010, west-coast and east coast

Hi.
    Me and three friends have been talking about going to America on a roadtrip.
    We are currently only 20 years old, so we have decided to wait untill 2010 when everyone is 21.
    But, since this i a big trip, we thought we should start planning it allready now.

So, we've had a few ideas about where we wanna go, but we're not 100% sure.
    One of us really want to do the west coast, another want to do New Yourk-Miami, and me + the last one wants to go cross-country.
    Now, we all realise we're not going to see everything we want to, but we're trying to do a compromise here.

We have decided on using 1 month on the trip but we might change this if we don't have time or if we want to stay longer.

So, what do you guys think about traveling the west-coast first, and the fly to New York and drive from there to Miami?
    I really dont know if two weeks on each coast is enough?

We'd allso like to stay in LA, San Francisco, Las Vegas, New York, and Miami a couple of days. Which cities do you think is worth spending some extra time in?

I'll probably have a lot more questions later, but this will have to do for now.

Default what's important

Welcome to the RTA Forum!

What anyone here would do with a month doesn't really matter in this case, its what you and your friends want to do thats important. There's no right answer, and when you've already got several people whose opinions you need to cater too, throwing in outsider thoughts on something so basic to the trip won't necessarily help you reach a conclusion that everyone will be happy with.

I'd start by taking the roadtrip compatibility quiz and make sure that everyone is on the same page. Certainly, you will have to make compromises, but this will help you figure out everyones priorities, so that everyone feels like they are getting to do what they want to do most. It will also help you work out some of the other logistics, including budgeting your time and money.

Certainly, you should also keep in mind that the kind of trip you are talking about will likely be very expensive. Between car rentals with underage surcharges, multiple drivers, and one way drop fees, plus all of the airline tickets, and focusing lots of your time in cities, your costs will start adding up very quickly.

3. Default

You've got some good points there, and we will certainly think about them.
    We're aware that the price is probably going to be pretty high, that's why we're starting to plan the trip allready :D

I just talked to one of my friends, and we kinda figured maybe the smartest thing to do would be focusing on the west-coast the first time.
    And if we find out we like roadtripping we could come back the year after and travel New York to Miami (or something).

But, does anyone have some rough estimate on how much it would cost to travel the west-coast for 3-4 weeks? Including 2-4 nights in the big cities.
    I'm of course not expecting anyone to know exactly how much it would cost. But is it like 8000$? 9000$?

Default Oh, wow, it really varies

People have different travel-styles. A month on the coast could cost one group $20,000 and another $3,000. Where you stay, what you eat, how many miles you actually drive, what kind of entertainment you do, etc. all play a role.

This post gives some guidelines on how to determine your budget. You should work through this with your friends.

Your other variable will depend on what kind of car rental fees you end up paying. Go to the major rental agency websites like Hertz, Avis, Budget, etc. and get quotes.

Keep asking questions and we'll do our best to help you plan a fantastic trip. A month on the west coast will give you time to explore many places. It should be a hoot!