1. Default Driving from west coast to east coast, looking for good state parks along the way

Hello everyone,
    I'm driving from Sonoma, CA to Mansfield, PA on I-80, starting out around June 15. I'm thinking I'll drive 200-300 miles a day and camp overnight in my tent in state parks along the way. I'm partial to woods and streams settings. Don't want to go more than a few miles off I-80 but it'd be nice to be out of earshot. Any suggestions (or caveats) most appreciated!

Default Right Place

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

Actually, a couple of contributors here have already compiled two lists which should let you find exactly what you're looking for. The first is a list of parks near the Interstates and the second is a list of websites for each state park system. Those should provide all the information you need.

AZBuck

Enjoy your trip! I've stayed overnight in Mansfield, PA. Not too much there besides the university and walmart!

4. Default cross-country trip

I'm driving from the Bay Area to rural Pennsylvania starting out in mid June and would like recommendations for campgrounds near I-80. I'm planning on driving only about 200 miles a day. This is my first time driving by myself across the country and all suggestions are welcome and appreciated!
    Last edited by AZBuck; 05-29-2009 at 09:18 AM. Reason: Merged with previous thread about the same trip. Duplicates and 'bumps' will be deleted.

Starved Rock State Park is an option if you're ready to spend a night in the west/east middle of Illinois. It is only a few miles south of I-80.

6. Default

Quote Originally Posted by milolady View Post
    I'm driving from the Bay Area to rural Pennsylvania starting out in mid June and would like recommendations for campgrounds near I-80. I'm planning on driving only about 200 miles a day. This is my first time driving by myself across the country and all suggestions are welcome and appreciated!
    If I could ask a question, why are you taking I-80? It's a nice direct route for speed, but there are immensely more interesting roads to take off the interstate, especially with the smaller per day miles.