Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default will a 4 cylinder car on a 1600 mi. trip EXPLODE??

I was planning on using a kia spectra, ~2004 model, 4 cylinder car on this roadtrip. There will be four people, and it'll be a 1600 mi. trip over a course of 6 days. The max amount of driving we will do in any one day is around 7~8 hrs (the rest of the days will be between 1-5 hrs of driving). Also, I dont know if this makes any difference, but we won't be driving continuously for that amount of time. We'll definitely be taking couple hour breaks inbetween those driving times to see some things along the way.

Basically, I'm wondering if its safe to use this car on such a trip. My dad continuously is telling me that the car will explode, so I thought I probably wanted a second opinion. any input would be greatly appreciated - thank you

Either your dad thinks the sky is falling or the car is a high mileage beater. If the Spectra is in good mechanical condition, it will make a cross country trip easily. My current road trip vehicle is a full size Ford pickup with a 6 cylinder engine and it will cruise all day at 80 mph without even breaking a sweat. I've been all over the country in 4 cylinder Subarus, Nissans, Volvos, BMWs, and even a Ford Festiva.

Just get it serviced and thoroughly inspected and problems corrected by a professional before leaving. A friend of mine's son is getting ready to take a cross country trip with 3 friends in a Hyundai Accent. The Spectra is more like the Hyundai Elantra - the next step up. One of our moderators here uses a 4 cylinder New Beetle as her road trip vehicle.

Default its what its built for

Welcome to the RTA Forum!

Cars are built to do one thing: drive. Any reasonably built car that's been well maintained should have no problem reaching 200,000 miles. 1600 miles isn't even a drop in the bucket, and roadtripping highway miles are far easier on a car's various parts than a typical stop and go commute.

Now personally, I have a strong dislike/distrust for kias and I would certainly get a good mechanic to look over the car, but there really is no reason that a well maintained car that is only 5 years old shouldn't be able to make a short trip like this. And on a positive note, if the car has less than 100,000 miles, the engine should still be under warranty just in case it does "explode"

Default Just drive

No, it won't explode... unless it doesn't have any oil in it, you constantly over-rev the engine, or drive in reverse the entire way. There are countless 4 cylinder vehicles on the road today that aren't in any danger of "exploding".

And truthfully, 1600 miles over 6 days isn't a huge amount, especially when you won't be driving continuously.

Default Yikes !

Other than something out of Hollywood or the like I have never seen a car explode ! Lol.
    As others have said, if it's in pretty good shape and serviced you will not have any problems other than the ones you may encounter from any other car, as no models are infailable.

Kias are a lot better than they used to be, since they merged with Hyundai in 1998. The 2004 era Spectra has returned an average reliability record.

Default just first hand

I owned a 99 kia for about 6 months and it was by far the worst car I've ever owned. It was in the shop about every 3 weeks, and it only had about 40k miles on it. I took a bath selling it, but it was worth every penny to get out from under that horrible, horrible machine. I know a few other people who have purchased kias since 98, and I really don't know anyone who would call it a positive experience. Maybe they've shown some improvements in the past decade, but I know it will take a lot more than an "average" reliability rating for me to be impressed or give them another look.

Default And one thing you ought never do....

I was in my mechanic's shop yesterday looking for excuses to spend money (not really) when I spied the transmission from a KIA where the owner was fond of shifting directly from Drive to Reverse and vice-versa with the car still moving. The car put up with this mis-behavior for a while -- but when it sheared all of the trochoidal teeth -- I imagine that the owner probably thought the resultant sounds sorta sounded like an explosion....

Mark

Take it to a good mechanic and tell them what you want to do with it. Ask them to look it over and make recommendations as to what should be done before a long trip. Most will do this for little or no money. As for the mileage thing, my daily driver just turned 191,000 last week. Granted an 02 F150 is a far cry from a Kia, but you shouldnt have any problems on a trip of 1600 miles.

10. Default

Hey everyone - I'm glad to know that my car wont explode along the highway during the trip. I will also ask a mechanic what they think, as others here have recommended. thanks for all the responses!