1. Default Road Trip from Eastern PA to Chapel Hill NC with Stop in Richmond, VA

Hi Roadtrippers,

My boyfriend and I will road trip over a week from Philadelphia area to Chapel Hill, North Carolina with a stop in Richmond, VA. I would like advice on:

-cool, strange, or interesting things to see along the way
    -cheap places to stay both on the way and in the two aforementioned cities
    -delicious, local, or otherwise noteworthy places to eat on the way and in the cities

Any suggestions are appreciated!

Thanks

Default That's a nice, leisurely roadtrip

You should have time to do and see a lot along the way.

Welcome to the Roadtrip America forums!

This post
    lists some interesting things to do in Virginia. You might also use the search tool (green bar above) to find other discussions about this area for other ideas.

Some of the best, cheaper places to stay are the lower-priced chains like Motel 6, Super 8, Days Inn, etc. Motel 6 prices are even less if you make reservations via the internet. I think some other chains have similar web discounts. You are likely to find these hotels at most any larger city and various places along the way.

Ben's Chili Bowl is a must-stop if you're in Washington DC. For other ideas, check out our Road Food page and the Roadfood website.

Hope this gets you started!

Note that even budget chains like Motel 6 are considerably more expensive in and very near large cities. It's not easy finding a cheap place to stay *IN* a large city that's safe unless you are willing to search out a hostel.

Default The Scenic Route

Hello Nichole,

Well, for something different I'd swing east of Baltimore-Washington by taking I-97 south of Baltimore, having accessed it via the Key Bridge on I-695 (confirm with your map). From there, take the MD 3 exit south to US 301, thence US 301 south into Virginia via the Potomac Bridge. US 301 is properly criticized for having miles of stoplights, but the truth is it's often faster than I-95 and the DC Beltway, where one often does plenty of stop and go.

On US 301 you'll see remanants of the old main road in the form of 1950s gas stations, restaurant/diners, and roadside motels (motor courts). All of these are particularly abundant between around Waldorf, MD on down to Port Royal, VA. From Port Royal, US 301 rolls through a large, forested Army base and via a short segment of VA 207 (again, verify the route number), brings you back to I-95 around 20 miles north of Richmond. Depending on just where in the Richmond are you're headed to, you can instead stay on US 301 right into downtown Richmond from Bowling Green.

Leaving Richmond, I'd venture south to Petersburg on I-95, make a pass through Old Town, thence west out US 460 to Farmville. There turn south on US 15, take a short loop side trip through the campus of Hampden-Sydney College (a 1,000 student all male liberal arts college set in the middle of farms and forests some 7 miles from Farmville), and then just enjoy the rolling VA countryside all the way down US 15 into NC. Along the way you'll pass across Kerr Lake and there I'd take the old US 15 bridge and pass directly through Clarksville's nice main street. Oxford, NC, some 25 miles south of Clarksville, is where you'll pick up I-85 south to Durham, where US 15/501 then forms the main drag to Chapel Hill.

Enjoy the planning and the RoadTrip!

Foy

Default I partially agree

Quote Originally Posted by glc View Post
    Note that even budget chains like Motel 6 are considerably more expensive in and very near large cities. It's not easy finding a cheap place to stay *IN* a large city that's safe unless you are willing to search out a hostel.

Budget hotels IN the city are hard to find, but I've never had trouble finding good rates on budget hotels on the outskirts of a city. And it still really varies depending on how many hotels are in the area competing for customers, etc. For example, I just checked Motel 6 rates in Virginia at Virginia Beach, Richmond, and Colonial Williamsburg locations. The rates ranged from $29.99-$46.99. Pretty cheap, I'd say, although I have no idea if they're close to the downtown areas as I didn't bother to check the maps.

But, yes, in general, prices are hire in the main downtown core areas of cities.

Hotels are usually only a least expensive options for individual travelers. Since you pay per person, the cost can easily become higher than budget motels after two, especially three, people.

Well, you have to get about 40 miles outside of Philadelphia before you will find a chain hotel for less than $75. Been there done that - the Motel 6 in King of Prussia is $80 and the Days Inn in Horsham is $110.