1. Default Virginia to New Orleans

Hello everybody, this is a great forum! My wife and I are planning an early July road trip. Beginning in Austin Texas we will drive to New Orleans and pick up 2 friends, do bourbon and then head to our friends house near hattiesburg, VA where we will stay for a few days.

Ok so that's the easy part of the trip, we are wanting to take 5 days to get back to NOLA from Virginia. We would like to do some camping along the way in the Appalachians and I am interested in anything to do with colonial historical sites along the way, we are not necessarily set on which route or which states we want to take to get back so we are open to suggestions. Some states we are considering are West Virginia, Tennessee,North Carolina, Alabama, Missippi maybe kentucky but it seems like that might be out of the way for how much time we have.

We would be interested in taking scenic roads rather than highways if at all possible

If it took more than 5 days it would not be the end of the world!

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks everybody!

Tucson, AZ

Default Hattiesburg, VA?

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America forums!

I couldn't find any such town as Hattiesburg, VA, but it sounds like it should be in the mountains, and its exact location probably doesn't matter much, so I'll use Roanoke as a proxy. Five days is actually plenty of time to make this trip and will leave plenty of time for wandering. Unfortunately, in Colonial times the area you'll be driving through was the wild west so there won't be any 'colonial historical sites' once you leave Virginia. But there will still be plenty of early American history, especially if you swing a bit west and come down through Cumberland Gap and then use the Natchez Trace Parkway. Such a route would also bring you close to a couple of major Civil War battlefields, Shiloh and Vicksburg. Two of the best resources for camping would be state parks and national forests.

Joplin MO

Could you possibly be talking about Hattiesburg, MS?

Default In the Shenandoah Valley?

Quote Originally Posted by glc View Post
    Could you possibly be talking about Hattiesburg, MS?
    The college town of Harrisonburg is in the Shenandoah Valley. Perhaps that's where the OP is headed.