Default Another place to spend the night

This was brought to my attention by a friend in Dubuque. I checked it out on the website, and rang the customer service department of the company, who confirmed what I was told.

The sports and outdoor outfitter chain Cabela's welcome Rv's at some of their stores, have campgrounds (min fee) attached to others. Some have restaurants and other facilities for those who wish to spend the night. From all accounts it sounds like another secure place to sleep in the car, for those who are so inclined.

For further information check out Cabela's home page, click on retail stores, click on a store's location on the map, click on store hours and amenities and there you have all the details. Any store which facilitates RV Parking also allows cars to park there.

I plan to check this out in the next week or two, when I will be in an area where there are some of these stores.

Default Hadn't thought of it -

But that's a good bit of information there!

I had lunch at the Cabela's in East Hartford and it was pretty good. They had a decent selection and the price was on the high side of reasonable.

It will be good to hear if you can confirm being able to spend the night.

Tim, I was at a Cabela's today, my first visit to one of their establishments. I was given one of their catalogues, and just looking around realised they are way, way out of my league.

However, I did ask one of the more senior staff member, saying I had heard that people can sleep in their campers and cars at the stores. He confirmed that it is correct, but only for those stores so indicated on the website. The stores at La Vista (Omaha) and Sidney NE have the space and facilities. The store where I was, Kearney NE, does not.

I was not staying in Kearney, had already passed through Omaha and was not heading for Sidney, so to date I have not made use of any of their facilities, but, should the opportunity arise, I intend to check them out.

Lifey whose suv is looking more like a comfy camper everyday

Default Good info

Thanks for sharing that. Is the camping availability mentioned in the printed guide to their stores, or just on the web?

Glad you're enjoying your make-shift camper. Any other fun reports from the road you'd like to share?

Quote Originally Posted by PNW Judy View Post
    Glad you're enjoying your make-shift camper. Any other fun reports from the road you'd like to share?
    You mean like my flat battery this morning??

Funny part was, the loverly [sic] lady at FlyingJ said the maintenance manager would be able to help me, and called him. When he heard I needed a jump start, he jumped right there, and asked if I was OK now. Changed my mood completely, and we both laughed all the way to the car.

Life is great, and I cannot wait to get to my friend's place in Stanley ID. That is after a visit to Mr Weaver, in Rigby ID, to deliver a couple of jars of Golden Syrup. Can't have him making Anzac Biscuits with honey.

Lifey in the Sheridan WY library

p.s.I chose not to keep the rather large catalogue from Cabela's, and have not seen any other literature from them, so am not aware of information other than on the net.

Default Loverly...good word

Isn't it amazing how helpful people are!!

Golden Syrup?

Default What no Golden syrup !

Quote Originally Posted by PNW Judy View Post

Golden Syrup?
    Have you never tasted the wonders of Golden syrup Judy !

Oh no, you haven't lived, it's like an angel crying on your tongue. When I am in the PNW [lord knows when] I will have to drop you in a jar ;-)

Lifey, thanks for the Cabela link, unfortunately the only one on route for my next trip is not yet completed, but they sound great for an overnight stop in the RV. I will certainly store the link for future reference.

Have fun!
    Last edited by Mark Sedenquist; 05-27-2009 at 01:27 PM. Reason: corrected a typo (I think) angle versus angel

Default Of course you can visit me in the PNW!

But please don't tempt me with the Golden Syrup. No need for gifts.

It sounds lovely and I might get addicted. Don't think my blood sugars could stand it though, darn it anyway!