Thread: First Roadtrip!

1. Default First Roadtrip!

So I recently drove to Jefferson City to take a Fire Fighter exam and it made me realize how much fun a road trip would be. I live in Missouri. A friend and I started talking about how cool it would be to drive to Colorado. I was wondering if those more experienced would have any idea how much a trip like that would cost. I looked on the map and it's about a 9 and a half hour drive. I don't have a big budget and neither do my companions. What can I expect to pay for a place to stay and can you only camp at certain places? haha I'm young but ambitious so any help would be great. thanks.

Tucson, AZ

Default Grains of Salt

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America forums!

The first thing you need to know about planning a roadtrip and using on-line resources is that mapping programs lie! There is nowhere in Missouri from which you can reach Denver (say) in nine and a half hours. Mapping routines such as Google Maps and MapQuest assume that you can drive at the speed limit constantly, never needing to slow down for traffic, stop for gas, get some food, or even go to the bathroom. A better rule of thumb, even when traveling on the 'wide open' Interstates of the west is to count on actually making good about 57 mph when you factor in all those things. So a drive from Kansas City to Denver would take TEN and a half hours, and then you'll have to add in the time to get to KC from wherever you're starting from and the time to get into the Rockies west of Denver.

As for costs, those will vary according to your tastes and budget, but this discussion will give you a good starting point for what you might need or be able to get away with.