1. Default Counting down the days!!

So this is my first time drive across the country and I’m super stoked!! I’m going with my first timer boyfriend and my 2 yr old dog. We currently both have 2 jobs to fund this as well as some savings. We are leaving in August from NC to PA to see some family and then out to see the Red Woods!! We were thinking of trying to hit Canada but I wasn’t sure of the laws now. We have no real final destination and are going to go with the breeze for this one! But I was curious about any sweet spots or beautiful scenes to check out. I’m passionate about photography and new experiences so this will be the best thing for the both of us right now. I’m currently researching this and that in preparation for August but I’m sure Ill be in touch until then!! Thanks for your time! Sarah
    Last edited by Midwest Michael; 05-21-2009 at 05:58 PM. Reason: removed italtics from entire post

Default So many options !

Hi Sarah, welcome to the RTA forums!

That's quite some adventure to look forward to. I don't think we can help much at this point other than to say have a good look around the forums and roadtrip planning pages and get the map out. For beautiful scenery you will be hard pressed to find a better guide than the National parks website but with an open trip in mind there is just to many options for us to start suggesting places of the cuff. As you do your research and have new questions, just ask.

Default passports

We were thinking of trying to hit Canada but I wasn’t sure of the laws now.
    Starting on June 1st, you'll need a Passport to cross into Canada by land. If you don't have one, you'd still have time to get one before you leave, but you'd want to apply for one soon.

I'd recommend that you bring a rabies vaccination certificate from your vet if you want to bring your dog into Canada.

EDIT: If your dog is a pit bull, you may not enter the province of Ontario, they have been banned.
    Last edited by glc; 05-22-2009 at 07:33 AM.

The Great Midwest, Illinois to be precise

Default North Coast of Ohio

Great scenery from Cleveland to Toledo.

Marblehead Lighthouse is very photographic. I also suggest a trip out to Put-In-Bay, a touch of the Keys in Ohio.

Great food at Tony Packo's in Toledo.

Default Enhanced Drivers License

Quote Originally Posted by Midwest Michael View Post
    Starting on June 1st, you'll need a Passport to cross into Canada by land. If you don't have one, you'd still have time to get one before you leave, but you'd want to apply for one soon.
    My state offers an enhanced driver's license for border crossings into Canada (and, I think, Mexico). These are cheaper than a passport and take less time to get. You might check out to see if your state participates in this program.

I hope you make to my neck of the woods. Washington state has desert, farmland, coulees (very unique in the world), Mt. St. Helens and other mountains worth seeing, rain-forests, beaches, archipelago, and more. All worth seeing.

Let us know how we can help you.