1. Default Place to Stop between San Francisco and Humboldt Redwoods State Park

Hello!
    My family is planning a summer roadtrip from San Francisco north to the Redwood National Parks. The drive from the SF airport straight to the Humboldt Redwoods SP is too far for 1 day (we'd arrive at 10:30AM) for us - we have 2 young children. Do you have a suggestion for an interesting place to stop/stay over on the way?
    Thank You!

You are only looking at a 250 mile drive from SFO to the park. This is generally an easy partial day drive. I'd see what time it is by the time you get over the Golden Gate and make a decision at that time, it shouldn't be much more than 4, maybe 5 hours from there to the park straight up 101, it's a freeway for a good portion of the drive. There are quite a few towns with lodging along the route.

Default How about SF ?

Hello and welcome to the RTA forums.

Have you considered staying in San Fran and making the drive the next day? If you are arriving at 10.30am by the time you have got through customs and picked up a car rental it will probably be gone midday. It's a lovely city with things to occupy the kids as well.
    It's certainly worth considering, especially if you have had a long flight.
    Last edited by Southwest Dave; 05-21-2009 at 09:57 AM.

Default I like Dave's idea

But, if that doesn't work, I'd probably drive CA-1, because it's so much prettier than 101, but take a lot of breaks to play and explore along the way. If you want to get all the way to the Humboldt Redwoods, you'll just need to ensure that your reservation allows for late arrival.

Along the way, you could stop and play around the Golden Gate Bridge and at places like Stinson Beach, Point Reyes National Seashore, Bodega Bay (where Hitchcock's The Birds was filmed), and numerous other state parks along the way.

Personally, there's no way I could do a 5-hour drive after being on a plane for hours without stops like this where I could stretch and move.

You might even want to plan on spending the night someplace interesting like Bodega Bay and going the rest of the way the next morning.

I would at least try to get over the Golden Gate the same day. Staying in downtown San Francisco is expensive - and can be a bear trying to get out of in the morning. This assumes you can get going before afternoon rush hour. Going up CA-1 along the coast is beautiful, but lodging up that way is very pricey too, as is lodging near the bridge. What I might do is drive up 101 about an hour and stay in Rohnert Park or Santa Rosa. Then you could head over to Bodega Bay in the morning and take 1 all the way up to Leggett and 101 to the park.