1. Default Monterey, Las Vegas, Grand Canyon and Georgetown, Colorado

We are planning our first road trip with our 3 teenagers (ages 17, 14 and 14) We live in Northern California And will be spending one full day in Monterey and the next day we will drive all day to Las Vegas. We plan to spend a full day in Las Vegas and then drive to see the Grand Canyon. Here's my question.........Our ultimate destination is Colorado to see family, should we plan on driving via the north or south rim of the Grand Canyon. (I'm not even sure if that is the correct lingo!). Is there a place you would recommend staying around that area?

Default A bigger picture.

Hello and welcome to the RTA forums !

Well the South rim is more popular as it has more facilities and lodging options and therefor more people. The North rim is quieter and has a more remote feel to it which makes it more appealing to some. Only you can decide what works best for you but both are amazing in there own right. Painting a bigger picture may help. How long have you for the road trip to Colorado and what other things appeal to you? By taking a more Northern route, Zion NP, Bryce canyon, Arches NP, Colorado NM are options. A southern route would take you to Hoover dam, Monument valley, Mesa Verde, the Million dollar highway from Durango through Silverton and Black canyon of the Gunnison. Although these could be mixed up accordingly.

3. Default

Thanks for the help. I'm thinking North Rim might be more our style. We don't have an RV will only be driving our mini van. Would you suggest we drive by and just do some "site seeing" and get a hotel somewhere down the road? What is the approximate drive time between Las Vegas and North Rim? By the way, we will be traveling in late July......HOT season!!!

Default Best to book in July.

The GC NP website will give you plenty of info. There is only one lodging option inside the North rim NP and there is a good chance it's already booked out.
    There are a couple of options listed outside the park but I would imagine they will get booked up early as well.

It is about a 5 hour drive from LV to the North Rim. The closest towns to the North Rim that would have any kind of lodging choices are Kanab (90 minutes) and Page (2+ hours).

6. Default

thanks all for the helpful information!!! After looking over the lodging options, we decided to go via south rim and we got a reservation (they only had 1 left) in the area of Tusayan for the night we want! Yea! Can't wait.......now i just have to figure out the best way to Georgetown, Colorado from Grand Canyon.....Any tips??????

Take 64 out the east entrance to US-89. Go north - and stop at the Cameron Trading Post. Take US-160 to Kayenta, and take US-163 through Monument Valley. Then take US-191 to I-70. This is a 640 mile drive and would be a REAL stretch trying to make it in 1 day.