1. Default Boston to Toronto - 4 / 5 day trip

Hi everyone,

after reading some threads, i am asking right away ;)

My girlfriend and i will travel from europe to the states mid of september.
    After visiting New York, Washington and Boston, we will have a few days left before heading back home from Toronto.

According to our time schedule, we will have approx. four or five days left from our stay in Boston to our last few days in Toronto (start in Boston at 12th of september, latest arrival in Toronto at 16th of september).

One of our plans is to rent a car in Boston and start a small tour to Toronto, including Niagara. Besides that, we are searching for interesting points along the route - we heard from various people, that the New England States are very beautiful this time of the year.

Because it will be my first time in the states, i am looking for every hint you can show me.

I'm looking forward to any answer,
    all the best from Germany,
    Michael

Default A roadblock

Welcome to the RTA Forum!

Actually, you face one big potential problem with your plan. I don't know of any car rental company that will allow you to rent in the US and drop the car off in Canada. Before you get too far in your planning, you'll need to figure out how to make this part work, perhaps driving as far as Buffalo/Niagara and then taking a bus or train into Toronto.

There are dozens of threads about what you could see between those two points. Here's a list of some of our favorites.

3. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Midwest Michael View Post
    Welcome to the RTA Forum!

Actually, you face one big potential problem with your plan. I don't know of any car rental company that will allow you to rent in the US and drop the car off in Canada. Before you get too far in your planning, you'll need to figure out how to make this part work, perhaps driving as far as Buffalo/Niagara and then taking a bus or train into Toronto.
    Hi Michael,

at least one company, hertz, is offering such a service... but for sure, your alternative is worth a look.

Thank you for your reply anyway,
    kind regards,
    Michael

Default you're right, but

I hadn't heard that Hertz was now allowing cross-border drop-offs, but looking at their website, it looks like you are right.

However, I also noticed that the price was extremely expensive, running nearly $200 a day for a compact car, and once taxes are factored in, you're looking at a total of nearly $1000 for just your 4 day rental. It does appear they factor the drop fee into the rental rate, so at least you aren't looking at any additional charges beyond that.

For comparison sake, renting the same car over the same period and dropping off in Buffalo, the total rental cost is about $550, so you're paying almost twice as much to drop the car off in Canada.

5. Default

This is a alternative, my girlfriend and i discussed.

But... when i look at the hertz webpage, the best offer is about 450 to 500 $ (330 to 375 Euro) - all included (but it's green collection).

Anyway, we will check different opportunities and choose the appropriate one.

Kind regards,
    Michael