Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default First coast to coast trip, help please!

I am a newly commissioned LT in the army and my first assignment is at Ft. Lewis WA. I live in Greenville, NC so I have one heck of a road trip ahead. It's my first trip over 15hrs and I'll start with the things I can't change. My orders authorize me to travel between 28May and I have to report the 5th of June. I drive a 04 F150 and I'm taking my motorcycle in the back to ride every now and then along the way. Here's my plan:

Trip to Ft. Lewis

Day 1 28MAY09
    (7.25hrs driving) Greenville, NC (0800) -> (1700) 17548 Tapoco Rd, Tapoco, NC 28771

Day 2 29MAY09

(8.33hrs driving) Tapoco, NC (0900) -> (1930) St. Louis, MO

30MAY09 - -> (All Day) St. Louis, MO

Day 3 31MAY09

(7.1hrs driving) St. Louis, MO (0900) -> (1800) Lincoln, NE

Day 4 1JUN09

(8hrs driving) Lincoln, NE (0900) -> (1900) Rawlins, WY

Day 5 2JUN09

(8.5hrs driving) Rawlins, WY (0900) -> (1930) Nampa, ID

3JUN09 - Nampa - -> (All Day) Nampa, ID

Day 6 4JUN09

(7.33hrs driving) Nampa, ID (0900) -> (1830) Wenatchee, WA

Day 7 5JUN09

(3hrs driving) Wenatchee, WA (1000) -> (1300) Ft. Lewis, WA

I want to stay in St. Louis for an extra night to visit a friend, then I will also stop in Nampa to stay with my uncle who has a bike too. Then my final stop will be in wenatchee to stay with my mom. All other stops will be camping or hotel stays. Any advice at all would be great. And if anyone wants to go contact me soon!

2. Default

First of all: Thank you for your service to our country.

I might not be telling you anything new but I find it interesting that the end of your first leg is Tapoco, NC. This is very close to one of the wildest motorcycle rides in the world – US-129 North/Deals Gap/Tail of the Dragon. They say it has 318 curves in 11 miles but anyone who tries to count them comes up with a different number. If you get there by 1700, you can ride it several times on your motorcycle as it only takes about 20-25 minutes to travel it one way.

http://www.tailofthedragon.com/dragon.html
    Last edited by FLGreg; 05-19-2009 at 04:22 PM. Reason: corrected typos

3. Default

This is great news! I was hoping I would be able to. I altered my route just a bit in order to ride the dragon. If I didn't have time that evening I was going to ride it first thing in the morning before I take off for St. Louis. I'm planning on camping at the Motorcycle Lodge there in Tapoco for the evening.

4. Default

Quote Originally Posted by ECU LT View Post
    This is great news! I was hoping I would be able to. I altered my route just a bit in order to ride the dragon. If I didn't have time that evening I was going to ride it first thing in the morning before I take off for St. Louis. I'm planning on camping at the Motorcycle Lodge there in Tapoco for the evening.
    I Googled the address and it looks like you are staying at Deals Gap Motorcycle Resort. If so, that is the epicenter for folks "slaying the Dragon". You'll find a wealth of information from them and the others camping there. Personally, we've never stayed there but it looks nice. We've stayed at Iron Horse Motorcycle Lodge about 20 miles away.

Default Welcome to the Pacific NW!

And welcome to the Roadtrip America forums. I, too, would like to thank you for your service to our country.

I'm not surprised you're a military officer. Your itinerary have that military precision. :)

Don't depend too much on the time estimates any mapping program will give you. They don't take into account that people need to stop for food, vehicles need fuel, that there might be road construction, or traffic jams, and that people might want to stop just to stretch their legs, check out a great view, etc.

We generally recommend that people take the total miles from A-to-B and divide it by 55 when east of the Mississippi; 57 when west of it. Over thousands of miles driven by many of us here, we agree that these are good averages to use. These mph estimates are the average over the course of the day, including the times for those stops.

Using 55, it means that first leg should take closer to 8 hours, not 7.25.

However, none of this is an exact science. Just don't depend on the accuracy too much and go-with-the-flow.

You've laid out a nice trip. Not too rushed. And you'll be traveling through some beautiful areas.

What kind of specific advice are you looking for? If you want advice about things to see/do along the way, give us an idea of what kinds of things interest you. Need budget help? Lodging recommendations? Let us know how we can help.

6. Default

Quote Originally Posted by FLGreg View Post
    I Googled the address and it looks like you are staying at Deals Gap Motorcycle Resort. If so, that is the epicenter for folks "slaying the Dragon". You'll find a wealth of information from them and the others camping there. Personally, we've never stayed there but it looks nice. We've stayed at Iron Horse Motorcycle Lodge about 20 miles away.
    that's exactly where I'm staying. I spoke on the phone with the guy who runs that resort and he said they were booked for rooms however there was unlimited camping so that's what my plan is. Any advice on camping there?

7. Default

Quote Originally Posted by PNW Judy View Post
    And welcome to the Roadtrip America forums. I, too, would like to thank you for your service to our country.

I'm not surprised you're a military officer. Your itinerary have that military precision. :)

Don't depend too much on the time estimates any mapping program will give you. They don't take into account that people need to stop for food, vehicles need fuel, that there might be road construction, or traffic jams, and that people might want to stop just to stretch their legs, check out a great view, etc.

We generally recommend that people take the total miles from A-to-B and divide it by 55 when east of the Mississippi; 57 when west of it. Over thousands of miles driven by many of us here, we agree that these are good averages to use. These mph estimates are the average over the course of the day, including the times for those stops.

Using 55, it means that first leg should take closer to 8 hours, not 7.25.

However, none of this is an exact science. Just don't depend on the accuracy too much and go-with-the-flow.

You've laid out a nice trip. Not too rushed. And you'll be traveling through some beautiful areas.

What kind of specific advice are you looking for? If you want advice about things to see/do along the way, give us an idea of what kinds of things interest you. Need budget help? Lodging recommendations? Let us know how we can help.
    haha i knew someone would point out my timing. Im on the same page as you. I realize the whole time thing, thats why I didn't plan more than 8hrs or driving bc I thought it could take up to 12hrs in certain situations. I'm staying with family and getting hotels along the way. The army should reimburse me for per diem traveling. I am interested in places to stop and see along the way. Expecially in St. Louis since I'll be there longer. Also, what is there to see in NE and WY? lol. My uncle told me to take the longer road into ID and head north to see teton pass instead of the more direct route through salt lake. So things that interest me...Im a very open person. I love so much about everything. The whole saying Jack of all trades master of none...thats me when it comes to music, hobbies, interests all around. I love the outdoors though. Idk, whats out there? I'm all ears and open to ideas. I was thinking gas to be around $450-$500???

PS: Ive never heard of the 55, 57 deal, sounds great. Thanks a lot I'll def. use that.

Here's another place close to the Tail of the Dragon. I'm planning a trip to N.C. in July and will be staying there. Looks like a fun place.

http://www.twowheelinn.com/

9. Default

This place looks like a great place to stay at an affordable price. I love the private motorcycle garage they have for your ride. A little further away from where I wanted to be though. I don't mind camping, after all I am in the army lol. Having a blow up mattress will be like staying in a Ritz Carlton for me. haha. Enjoy your stay and good luck!

10. Default

Also, does anyone know of any methods or remedies to reduce lower back pain while driving? I unfortunately have back pain after driving for several hours. Obviously getting out and stretching is good but is there anything else? I am afraid it runs in my family and is something I will have to get used to.