Thread: Rt. 66

Default Rt. 66

Hi,

I thought it'd be fun to drive part of Rt. 66.

The plan was to start out in Tulsa and end in Arizona, for a total of 5 days.
    Unfortunately, renting a car one-way out of Ok looks really expensive.

Does anyone know of any near by cities / states with cheaper one way rentals?

Also are there any can't miss areas just off of rt 66 that I should steer toward?

Thanks!!

Default not generic

Welcome to the RTA Forum!

Car rental rates and fees can really vary and one area that is expensive today might be cheaper tomorrow, or vice versa. You might have more luck trying a larger city, like Dallas or Kansas City, or try going west to east, renting in Phoenix or Las Vegas.

You should also know that much of Route 66 simply doesn't exist anymore. The highway was decommissioned in the 80's and large sections of the road have been replaced, removed, or are in serious disrepair. Having said that, try doing a search of this site for route 66 and you'll find lots of resources about tracing the highway.

Quote Originally Posted by Midwest Michael View Post
    Welcome to the RTA Forum!

You should also know that much of Route 66 simply doesn't exist anymore. The highway was decommissioned in the 80's and large sections of the road have been replaced, removed, or are in serious disrepair. Having said that, try doing a search of this site for route 66 and you'll find lots of resources about tracing the highway.
    Thanks! I checked out the 'Mother Road' website for reference on this trip. I'm basing the route loosely off of that. Hitting OK city, Amarillo, Albuquerque, Gallup, and Flagstaff (With a side trip to the Grand Canyon).

I figure in the short time I have, I can use the highway to bypass some of the smaller towns. I just don't want to miss anything road-trip worthy.