1. Default What would you do with one full day between Las Vegas and the Grand Canyon?

I have a trip planned in steamy late July where I will be flying from the east coast to vegas on a Saturday, staying at the south rim of the grand canyon on Monday, descending to phantom ranch on Tuesday, then heading back to vegas. I have a full day on Sunday left to plan. I know there are numerous sources out there listing the possible options for day trips in the area, and my choices as I see them are either head north of the canyon and check out some of the national parks/forests there or head south for a short drive and possibly make a stop at Havasu Falls. (Is it possible to visit Havasu Falls in late July? Can I travel the 8 miles in and out in one day?) I'd love to do something memorable, preferably active...

I know there is a lot of great experience in this forum, and my question to you desert travelers is if you had one full day between Las Vegas and the Grand Canyon in late july, how would you most like to spend it?

Default Las Vegas &/or Grand Canyon Day Trips

Keeping in mind that it's nearly a full day's drive from Las Vegas to the Grand Canyon, especially if traffic gets backed up at the Hoover Dam, there are a number places that you can visit either from Las Vegas or from the Grand Canyon area

AZBuck

Default Oatman's burrows

See first paragraph here. A search of these forums should yield a lot more information about this fun, little town.

If you go through Oatman, the best way to LV will avoid the dam - head for Bullhead City and Laughlin and head up US-95 through Searchlight.

5. Default thanks!! havasu anyone?

Thanks for the feedback all. This forum has been such a blessing in planning my trip!

Has anyone been to Havasu/Mooney Falls? I know they had a terrible flash flood that destroyed some land but from what I hear the area has been reopened. I am considering fitting this into my trip…hiking down, check out the falls and take a dip, then taking the helicopter back out. The heli trip out is pricey (I think ~$85 per person) and I may decide to hike on my own out, but I don’t want to destroy my legs two days before I descend into the grand canyon. If anyone if familiar with the area and this trip I would love to hear some suggestions as how to best plan my time (how long the hike down will take, how strenuous it is, the drive to the trailhead, conditions on that road, if I can take a compact rental car on it, etc.) and if getting in and out of havasu falls is even possible to do in one day.

Default Challenges

I haven't heard how things are since the flood, but this is part of the same reservation where the skywalk is, as there are some things you'll have to keep in mind.

First, I believe the admission fee to get onto the reservation is very expensive. The road conditions out there are also very rough, and possibly could be a problem with your car rental agreement. I'm not certain on the current status of those things, but they are something you should do some further research into before you commit to this.

7. Default Truxton?

I am road tripping in the desert this summer and am hoping to make a stop to havasu falls. The night prior I am thinking of staying at the Frontier Motel & Restaurant on route 66 in Truxton, AZ. Has anyone ever stayed here? How were the accomodations? I searched the web and found some mixed reviews of the classic diner there, but couldnt tell if anyone actually stayed at this motel.

How are the road conditions on Route 66 from Kingman to Seligman? No gas stations, right? In terms of roadside attractions, any personal favorites to look out for?
    Last edited by Midwest Michael; 06-18-2009 at 07:36 AM. Reason: Merged - Please don't create new threads about the same trip

Default '66

Route '66 is a two lane highway in good [ish] condition and you will get gas at Kingman [and Seligman I believe] so no worry's there. You will stumble across weird and wacky memorabilia stores such as the Rusty bolt in Seligman. It also seemed to be popular with bikers and there was no shortage of Harleys on the road when we were there and look out for huge freight trains that run close to the road, they seem to go on for miles.

I ran that stretch of 66 last February, and the pavement is in very good shape. The speed limit is 65 except through a few little towns, and you can comfortably do at least that. I don't remember if there's any gas between Kingman and Seligman, so it would be prudent to top off in Kingman. Worst case, it's about 130 miles from Kingman to Williams via 66.