1. Default Lehigh Valley, PA --> Mooresville (Charlotte), NC

So my best friend and I are doing a roadtrip from Bethlehem, PA to Mooresville, NC.

We'll be taking 78 West, 81 South, 77 South. Driving down on Thurs, July 2nd. (Do you think this is a terrible day to plan our drive down, considering the holiday? Should we take an alternate route to avoid holiday traffic, or just deal with it?) My brother always says we should take 95 all the way down - does anyone agree with this?

Are there any good "stops" to see along the way? Any "must go" restaurants? (The more dive-y, the better!)

We've done Shenandoah National Park, Skyline Drive and Luray Caverns. (While we were students at JMU)

We'll be bring along my dog - 6 year old black lab mix.

Any advice or recommendations are appreciated. We've done this drive for the past 2 years and we've usually just done it as a straight shot, but this year since we'll be staying for over a week, we wanted to take our time driving down.... enjoying the sights and whatnot.

Thank you!

2. Default

Well, I can't speak for the 4th of July weekend, but I take 81 down and back from DC to Charlotte every year, and traffic is never problem.

But this year we're thinking of taking 95. I hope someone can advise as too what traffic on 95 on a holiday weekend will be like!

Default traffic

Welcome to the RTA Forum!

I-95 is the single most traveled freeway in the United States, between people traveling between Boston-NYC-DC, and then those same people heading down to the Southeast Coast or to Florida, its a road that always sees lots of traffic. Add in traffic from a Holiday Weekend, and you should expect some significant delays.

If you're traveling to a location where you could use I-81 as a reasonable alternate, I think you'll have much better luck than trying to navigate I-95.

Default I-95

I would be hesitant to take I-95 if I were concerned about traffic.

I-81 is a heavily traveled road, to be sure, but not anything near I-95. Also, I-95 doesn't go to Mooresville.

At the risk of sounding overly negative, I-95 is the LAST road I'd take to get up and down the East Coast! It's one jammed metro area after another all the way from Boston to Richmond. The only reason I'd take it is if I wanted to visit any of the cities along its path. Even my mapping program - which does NOT account for traffic delays, says the fastest route from Bethlehem to Mooresville is exactly as you describe - 78/81/77, and it's 540 miles. I think your brother does not have a good concept at all. There will probably be many more traffic delays on 95 than there will be on 78/81/77 - Philly, Wilmington, Baltimore, and DC as opposed to just Harrisburg.

This is very doable as a one day drive if you don't want to do much sightseeing.

6. Default

Quote Originally Posted by glc View Post
    At the risk of sounding overly negative, I-95 is the LAST road I'd take to get up and down the East Coast! It's one jammed metro area after another all the way from Boston to Richmond. The only reason I'd take it is if I wanted to visit any of the cities along its path. Even my mapping program - which does NOT account for traffic delays, says the fastest route from Bethlehem to Mooresville is exactly as you describe - 78/81/77, and it's 540 miles. I think your brother does not have a good concept at all. There will probably be many more traffic delays on 95 than there will be on 78/81/77 - Philly, Wilmington, Baltimore, and DC as opposed to just Harrisburg.

This is very doable as a one day drive if you don't want to do much sightseeing.

thanks for the info - i agree. i much prefer 78/81 - even if they are big "truck route".... perhaps my brother was suggesting that route b/c he's always driven from NYC -- Charlotte? Still, I agree that 95 can be an absolute mess around Balti/DC... I've done the drive two years in a row straight through - not bad at all, and I was extremely hungover one of the drives! It's a pretty drive through Va, esp. the Shenandoah mountains, some of the most horrific (albiet very short) thunderstorms followed by the most picturesque rainbows!

NYC to Charlotte - I'd still take 78/81/77!

"Big truck route"? If anything, 95 has more trucks than 78/81/77.