1. Default For SE Utah locals and/or the well-traveled...

Here's a random question...perhaps some of the experts can advise.

I am planning to be in southern Utah in mid-June, and I have a question about a particular section of what I'm planning to drive. I will be both solo and with others at various points along the way, but I'm not sure about the day in question.

OK, here goes...I'm planning to leave Torrey, UT and head east on UT-24 through the park, and out to Hanksville. From there, I'll hook up with UT-95 and head down past the Natural Bridges Nat'l Monument area. Finally, I'll head up US-191 into Monticello.

Is this too much for a solo driver should it happen that way (an experienced one, but solo nonetheless?) If it's reasonable, and I'm overestimating how long it's going to take, would pushing on to Ridgway, CO or even Montrose, CO be within striking distance for one day?

Please reply only if you have specific knowledge of the areas and roads I mentioned. I know it's about 200 miles from Torrey to Monticello using that route, and about 350 if I take it as far as Montrose, CO.

Thanks,

LDTL

Default Driven all of those roads many times....

Quote Originally Posted by laydownthelaw View Post
    OK, here goes...I'm planning to leave Torrey, UT and head east on UT-24 through the park, and out to Hanksville. From there, I'll hook up with UT-95 and head down past the Natural Bridges Nat'l Monument area. Finally, I'll head up US-191 into Monticello.
    AB, it's all about what kind of driving day you want. I've done the route in reverse in winter and so it's certainly possible. I wouldn't really recommend pushing on to Montrose the same day -- mostly because of the fatigue issues and the chance of some good thunderstorms on the Million Dollar Highway. You could easily make Monticello or even Cortez -- but I'd draw the line there. Now, it goes without saying that you won't have much time for sightseeing along the way. But yes, a solo driver can cover that distance.

Mark

3. Default

Thanks, Mark.

I'm going to try to get at least a little "out of car" time, so if I'm solo I'll shoot for Monticello, and if I'm still with my friends at that point we'll just split the driving up and push on further.

AB

How about stopping for the night in Durango? Torrey to Durango is 300 miles and is not difficult to do in a day. This will let you head up the Million Dollar Highway in the morning. Durango is a big enough city to give you a wide choice of lodging and restaurant options, Monticello is a pretty small town in comparison.

If you decide to do that, the Durango Super 8 is one of the best Super 8's I've stayed in, and there's an excellent BBQ joint just across the highway.