1. Default Victoria BC to Carlbad CA and back to Prince George BC

Hi
    I have ferry crossing booked out of Victoria Bc on July 31, making my way to Carlsbad for reservations on Aug 5, then on to LA Aug 11-15th.
    Need to be back in Prince George Aug 21st.
    Looking for some good routes, want to see the coast of course, what to see and do in and around Carlsbad. Best way back to Prince George without retracing my steps.
    Thanks for the input and suggestions.
    btw is it safe for two older women to "tent" along the oregon coast?

Default A somewhat serious speed run!

Quote Originally Posted by NorthernKate View Post
    I have ferry crossing booked out of Victoria Bc on July 31, making my way to Carlsbad for reservations on Aug 5,
    Welcome to the Great American RoadTrip Forum! By the shortest possible route it would be about 1200 kms to reach Carlsbad -- At a normal full day driving pace this would be 2.5 days on the road. Since you want to camp along the Oregon Coast as you go, you should expect your one-way distance to be closer to 1950 kms and so yes, you can camp along the way -- safely -- but your time in camp will need to brief.
    then on to LA Aug 11-15th.
    Carlsbad is south of Los Angeles...Carlsbad is nearly all the way to San Diego. Here are some tips about visiting LA.

mark

3. Default

Thanks for the info Mark, I have been to LA a couple of times so know the size( a bit anyway) Once in LA I will be staying near UCLA for a conference.
    Plan to head over to Vegas on the night of the 15th. Which route would you reccomend from Vegas to Prince GeorgeÉ
    Thanks for your input.
    kate

4. Default

hmmm, now I am rethinking my trip, maybe I would be better to fly from Seattle to Vegas, spend my two weeks in Vegas, LA and Carlsbad.
    Drive the Oregon coast another time when I do not have other destinations I need to go to.

Default makes sense

I think that plan makes a lot of sense. You'll have more time to enjoy the place you've listed, and Oregon is close enough for you that you could pretty easily to that at a later date.

6. Default

Flights and hotels are booked, we fly to Vegas from Seattle on the 1st, have 4 nights there and then on to Calsbad for 6 nights. any suggestions of must sees in these areas? I would love to see the Grand Canyon but am not sure about the length of time it would take to get there and back to Vegas in a day.
    I will have a rental car for the duration of the trip.
    thanks for the suggestions
    kathy

LV to the GC and back is not a day trip. It's 5+ hours each way.

Default why go back

If you are going from Vegas to Carlsbad, then why would you go back to Vegas after visiting the Grand Canyon? Wouldn't it make far more sense just to keep continuing on towards New Mexico?