Default Go West, Young Men! (TOR-SF)

Hello Roadtrippers of America!

My friend just finished university and is heading off to San Francisco Bay area to work. So we're planning on driving his car there (one-way) where I'll drop him off and I'll fly back to Toronto.

This is our plan so far:

Day 1: Toronto to Cleveland
    Day 2: Cleveland to Cincinnati
    Day 3: Cincinnati to Nashville
    Day 4: Nashville to Memphis
    Day 5: Memphis to Little Rock
    Day 6: Little Rock to Dallas
    Days 7-8: Dallas to El Paso (where to stay between?)
    Day 9: El Paso to Tucson
    Day 10: Tucson to Phoenix
    Day 11: Phoenix to Los Angeles

Then we're gonna play it by ear up the Californian coast for the next 5 days.

Is this doable? In terms of milage, we checked the rough distances on Google and it seems OK... some days will have more driving than others. We were planning to drive toward the late afternoon/evening and explore the cities during the morning and early afternoon.

Anyone with tips of something "off the beaten path" for each city? Or any interesting little towns between these places?

Thanks in advance!

Tucson, AZ

Default Nice Pace

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

It's actually very refreshing to see an itinerary that leaves time on a trip to see and do stuff rather than trying to make 600, 700 or more miles a day and have 'fun'. Now, I'm not familiar with every stop on your drive, but here are few suggestions for some of the cities you plan to hit. Cleveland: the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame and their world class natural history museum. Between Cincinnati and Nashville: Mammoth Cave National Park. Memphis: Mud Island during the day and Beale Street at night. Dallas: the Sixth Floor Museum. Overnight in the Midland/Odessa area of west Texas where I think there's a good museum dedicated to oil drilling. El Paso: White Sands National Monument. Tucson: Atlas Missile Museum and/or Pima Air and Space Museum.

You might consider going from Dallas to Carlsbad, NM. Spend most of the next day in Carlsbad Caverns, then head to Alamogordo, NM for the night. Visit White Sands the next morning then head to Tucson, AZ.

Joplin MO

Dallas to El Paso is one of the few runs of that distance that I recommend knocking off in 1 day. It is a VERY fast road (the speed limit is 80 for a good portion) and there frankly is nothing to see but oil derricks, telephone poles, sagebrush, and tumbleweeds. The longest day I've driven in recent history was from Dallas to Lordsburg, NM - 805 miles in 13 hours including (minimal) stops. In my opinion, this would be a very good way to free up a day somewhere else where it would matter more.