1. Default toronto to washington by road

am looking at driving from toronto to washington with 1 night in amish country. is this feasible and any suggestions. This will be in september. from australia

Default Quite

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

You could make that drive in a day, so with two you'll have some time for sightseeing, You will, of course, be passing by Niagara Falls. Try to see it from the Canadian side before crossing the border. Then I'd recommend heading into central New York and using US-15 as your main route south. This will bring you to the Harrisburg area. 'Amish country' is south and east of there and is best experienced by simply driving some of the back roads and enjoying the scenery provided by their well kept farms.

Also on or near that general route are Letchworth and Watkins Glenn State Parks in New York and the Little League Museum and Gettysburg National Battlefield in Pennsylvania.

AZBuck

3. Default

Thanks forthat..the problem seems to be one way car hire from Toronto..was wondering if should fly to Philedelphia then hire car and drive around that area before returning car to washington as my husband wants to see Gettysburgh and historical area..Amish country still in this area?//

Default That Would Work

From Philadelphia Airport I-95/US-322/US-1 will get you into Amish country while roads like PA-926, PA-842, PA-996 and others will let you wander through it. Once you've worked your way west to Lancaster US-30 would take you to Gettysburg. From there US-15 south into Maryland (and Antietem if your husband is a Civil War buff) and then I-270 would take you into Washington. Another option might be to fly into Washington and do a two day loop trip from there to Annapolis, across Chesapeake Bay to the Eastern Shore up the Delmarva Peninsula through quaint towns such as Chestertown and up into Amish country from the south and then completing the loop back to Washington as above. That would save you any one way drop-off fee on the car rental.

AZBuck

5. Default

Thank you so much..have decided to go with your 2nd option and fly to Washington and head from there and stay in Amish one night then back to Washington for the 2 nights I have booked. Really do appreciate your help
    Kelsey

6. Default Boston/Washington and Chicago/New Orleans

In September we are doing a bit of a whirlwind trip to US from OZ.. have a couple nights in each of these places..open to any suggestions of 'must do'
    Thanks Kelsey

7. Default Chicago/Washington/Boston

In September we are doing a bit of a whirlwind trip to US from OZ.. have a couple nights in each of these places..open to any suggestions of 'must do'
    Thanks Kelsey
    Last edited by Midwest Michael; 05-18-2009 at 05:52 AM. Reason: Merged - Please do not create multiple threads about the same trip