Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default CA to NC w/2 Dogs - Safest Places to Stay

Hello to all,

This summer I'll be moving back to NC from CA. Due to moverís costs, we'll be moving ourselves in a U-Haul or Budget type rental truck, while the other one of us drives our car with our two dogs. It's challenging enough to make this trip with ones entire belongings but adding the dogs to the mix is adding some extra steps...one is where to stay where the dogs will be allowed and where we feel safe to park a moving truck for the night.

We've considered routes and I'm leaning towards I-40. I realize the scenery is not to compare with I-70, but it is more of a direct route and the extra stops we'll have to make for the dogs will already be slowing us down.

Can anyone shed light on the better places to stay in AZ, NM, TX, OK, AK areas...that also allow dogs? As for TN and NC, I'm pretty familiar with those areas and should be good to go.

I've only made the East to West drive once before and had to use I-20 to I-10 due to bad freezing in the winter. I was also by myself and in a car, so it took me two days....Yep...only break was in Ft. Worth. Don't ever want to do that again...Texas seemed endless.

Okay...I thank you all for any insight.
    Snugy :o)

Default Where Pre-Planning Helps

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

There is an ongoing debate on these forums as to whether it is better to pre-book motels or just 'go with the flow' and leave oneself the freedom to go where you will and just stop for the evening whenever you feel like it. But yours is a case where pre-booking all your motel stays makes a lot of sense. Figure out the general area where you want to end up each night, do a simple web search on 'townname motel' and start checking with the ones that look good to you and ask what their pet policy is. Specify how many dogs you have and how big they are so there are no misunderstandings about the generic "pets allowed". You can also ask if they provide well lit parking for the trailer that is visible from the front desk or at least a well traveled road. Then you won't have to worry about these things as you drive, or scramble each evening to find something that meets your needs when you're tired and just want to go to bed. The other thing you should understand is that there are plenty of parks near the Interstates where you can let your dogs get some fresh air and exercise every few hours in a pleasant setting for all of you without adding a lot of miles to your trip.

AZBuck

If you want to stay at a Motel 6, you will probably have to get 2 rooms, for example. They say they allow one well behaved dog per room unless prohibited by law or local ordinance. However, it sure wouldn't hurt to call.

4. Default Traveling with pooches

I travel frequently with my three large (70-75 lb.) labs and my #1 place to stay above all others is Red Roof Inn. Everyone I've stayed in has been great with respect to having my dogs. No additional charges either, though I always leave a generous tip in the room and a short note thanking them for allowing my dogs. I believe their policy is actually one dog, but in the 6 years I've been traveling with all three, RRI has welcomed them all. The only downside is that RRIs are not everywhere in the country.

Also, petswelcome.com is a good website to locate dog friendly places to stay and you can also book through the site.

Steve

5. Default CA to NC w/2 Dogs -

Thanks to all for the great advice. Especially about pre-booking the rooms. I totally agree that's the way to go and if we arrive early...well, more sleep is a plus too!

I'll also look into those RRI's...and the website you listed!

Thanks to all,
    Snugy

6. Default 411 on Grants, NM; Elk City, OK; and Forrest City, AR.

Never traveled through the following cities. Does anyone know anything about these locations? If they are towns with bad reps or high crime, then travel plans will need to be adjusted. Just trying to keep my total travel down to about 5 or 6 days, and these towns seem to be in a reasonable drive span as for time.

Any info is appreciated.
    Snugy
    Last edited by Midwest Michael; 05-17-2009 at 07:41 AM. Reason: Merged - Please don't create new threads about the same trip

Default Walk the Streets Yourself

The handful of regular contributors here are not going to be able to give you an "all clear" for every city and town in the U.S., nor would such a recommendation carry any weight or meaning. What you can do that would be far more useful to you is to use Google Maps street view feature to look at any street you want in each of the towns you've named and see if it looks safe to you. That's the only criterion that matters anyway.

AZBuck

In general, hotels and other establishments at Interstate highway exits in rural areas and small towns are quite safe.

9. Default Most cost effective option traveling West to East... I-70 vs I-40

Other then the scenic differences between these two routes, is one more easily or cost effective to travel? Does one have more tolls, and if so what do they run in cost? Is there more construction detours on either of these roads, which would cost more in both time and gas?

Goal is from West Coast to East Coast in 5-6 days using either route, driving about 8-10 hours per day.

I've only traveled the I-20 and I-10 route and no absolutely nothing about these two Northern Interstate options. So pros and cons about both are welcome.

Snugy
    Last edited by Midwest Michael; 05-21-2009 at 03:24 AM. Reason: Merged AGAIN - Stop creating new threads about this trip or you may lose your ability to post

Default not significantly

I-70 does have a short stretch of toll road in Kansas, and right now St. Louis is dealing with some major construction projects, but those are the only 2 things that I can say with any degree of certainty. I-40 may have a few more mom and pop motels, because of its connection to route 66, but those places may not be as likely to accept dogs and aren't necessarily cheaper than low end chains.

The reality is that you're dealing with very small differences. Things as simple as what cities you stop at for gas, food, and lodging could make either one a more "cost effiective" option on any given trip.