1. Default Oklahoma - Mount Rushmore - Yellowstone - Yosemite - Grand Canyon

This summer my mom, grandma, and I are planning a road trip and since my grandma is going, camping is not an option. Here is a quick itinerary:

Day 1 - Leave Woodward, OK and drive to Chadron, NE
    Day 2 - Drive from Chadron to Mount Rushmore to Sturgis, SD; we are then going to head toward Jackson, WY so our next stop may be as far as Thermopolis, WY
    Day 3 - Continue to Jackson, WY
    Day 4 - See Yellowstone and the Grand Tetons
    Day 5 - Drive to Pocatello, ID
    Day 6 - Drive to Winnemucca, NV
    Day 7 - Rest in Winnemucca, NV
    Day 8 - Drive to Coulterville, CA
    Day 9 - See Yosemite
    Day 10 - Drive to Laughlin, NV
    Day 11 - See the Grand Canyon Caverns, the Grand Canyon (We have all see the Grand Canyon, so it is just a quick refresher) and drive to Holbrook, AZ
    Day 12 - See the Petrified Forest and Painted Desert
    Day 13 - Drive Home

I have the following motels booked:
    The Bunk House Motel - Chadron, NE
    The Kudar Motel - Jackson, WY
    The Thunderbird Motel - Pocatello, ID
    The Winner's Motel - Winnemucca, NV
    Hotel Jeffery - Coulterville, CA
    The Golden Nugget - Laughlin, NV
    The Wigwam Motel - Holbrook, AZ

My first question is of course is there anything that we will be passing that I haven't listed that is a must see along the way?

Second does anyone have any restaurant suggestions? We will be eating lunch in the car along the way but have budgeted $30 per person a day for breakfast and dinner so we need budget friendly stops, I'm not sure where we will be eating dinner but breakfast should be at the places listed above as well as somewhere between Buffalo, Wy and Thermopolis, WY and somewhere between Gallup, NM and Albuquerque, NM.

Also if anyone has any information on the motels listed above please do tell. I know that I haven't booked the Four Seasons I just would like to know what to expect. Thanks!

Default Are you sure about that

Welcome to the RTA Forum!

You might want to reconsider the pace at which you are traveling. You are going to be looking at some very long days of travel, and are really going to have to fly through most of the places you say you want to visit. Now if it was a group of 20-somethings just making the trip, I could understand it to a degree, but I don't know many people who fit the Grandparent demographic that really enjoy that sort of pace.

You've got some serious long drives in there, not too much to do safely, but many days you're not going to have hardly any time to see anything beyond what you've laid out.

I'll also say, I find it very odd that on a trip where you are spending just one day in Yellowstone/Tetons and Yosemite and basically just a couple hours in the Black Hills and Grand Canyon (all places where you could easily spend weeks and not see everything) that you'd dedicate an entire day to Winnemucca, NV.

I can't speak for the rest of your group, but I'd make sure everyone is on the same page and that everyone knows just how fast of a pace you are looking at, I could see very easily this being a case where less is more when it comes to the actual enjoyment of your trip.

3. Default

The reason that we are staying in Winnemucca is because we are going to rest for a day and do some laundry. I understand that we are seeing alot in a limited amount of time but my grandma wanted to see all of these places and I was just trying to get her to all of them. It isn't like with her we are going to be able to hike or anything. We are mainly going to see what we can see in a day so she is able to say she has seen it I guess.

I appreciate your input but I have it planned I was just needing some additional information.

Default Gallup to Albuquerque

Quote Originally Posted by Lonebear17
    ....I'm not sure where we will be eating dinner but breakfast should be at the places listed above as well as somewhere between Buffalo, Wy and Thermopolis, WY and somewhere between Gallup, NM and Albuquerque, NM.
    The only place that I’ve been to recently is the WOW Diner in Milan, NM, across the street from the Petro truck stop at exit 79. Not a bad place. I remember having something really good for dessert there – boysenberry cheesecake, I think. There are also plenty of decent restaurants in Albuquerque, about 75 miles further on.

Quote Originally Posted by Lonebear17 View Post
    We are mainly going to see what we can see in a day so she is able to say she has seen it I guess.

I appreciate your input but I have it planned I was just needing some additional information.

I think you're making a mistake. A road trip should be relaxing, you're zipping through these magnificent natural areas as if they were on a checklist. Really the only way to see something is to absorb some of it into our bodies and minds. To really experience it. The idea that you're going all this way to 'see' Yosemite in a day is an absurdity. You'll be running around all over the place, just to drive through. Your grandma is going to be exhausted. Stay flexible and think about changing your plans. My advice is to cut your destinations in half.

6. Default Ugh!

I understand that you guys are just trying to help but I have it planned as I want it. I didn't ask for help in planning it I just needed help with the places to eat.. To bad.. I thought you guys would be helpful..

Default Too bad indeed

We're sorry we were not able to be your one stop nationwide restaurant review service. There are thousands of restaurants in every state in the county, so its just not very feasable to expect someone on an internet forum to plot your dining options on a trip of this scale. About the best you'll ever be able to find, is the type of advice that Howard provided.

Best wishes on your trip.