Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default Trip advice from san Francisco to Las Vegas

Hi there me and my husband are planning a trip in September, starting from San Francisco and want to visit carmel/monterey, yosemite, grand canyon and Las Vegas at least, we have 2 weeks and was wanting some advice on places to stop at, any tips and whats the best route and how long it will take us to drive to each place. Really appreciate any advice Thanks

Default its all there and more

Welcome to the RTA Forum!

The trip you are talking about is the single most popular topic on this forum, and there are several thousand posts about this subject. Rather than trying to reinvent the wheel, I suggest you start by looking around a bit to get your footing. To give you a start, you could look at these threads which are some of our favorites.

3. Default San Francisco to Las Vegas

Hi Michael

Thanks for your response, and I have had a look and there are some good suggestions, however I know nothing about america and the distance between these places, so would really like some tips.

Your suggestions would be really helpful!

Would you suggest stopping somewhere in between Carmel/Monterey and Yosemite I dont know how far it is between the two?

Also Ive heard a few people mention Death Valley where would suggest we fit that in the trip

Thanks claire

Default SF to SF ?

Hi Claire,

Was you planning on returning to San Fran or ending your trip in Vegas ? In some cases it is best to do a complete loop rather than a one way trip, and in this case a loop could work well. By going down the coast and cutting inland and across to Grand canyon and returning to SF via Vegas, Death valley and Yosemite makes for a very scenic route full of diversity. Depending on how much time you want to spend settled in one place against being on the road will also be a factor, but it would also be possible to include a couple of Utah's fine National parks of Bryce canyon and Zion NP.

As you gather info and new questions arise just ask away and we can help "fine tune" your trip.
    Enjoy the forums !

Default its all there

The all of the information you are asking about can be found in the links I already, but you've got to start by looking and doing some of the work yourself.

I would also strongly suggest you get a map and take a look at this area so you can get a visual idea for yourself where you are going to be heading. I think paper maps work best for just getting started, but you can certainly use the various online mapping programs to get a ballpark idea of how far things are from each other.

6. Default San Francisco to Las Vegas

Hi Dave

Thanks for your reply, we were going to do a one way trip but may consider a loop if you think thats better. How long would it take us to drive from Las Vegas to San Francisco?

Also would we be better stopping in death valley after we've been to Las Vegas i.e on the way back to San Francisco.

And also would you suggest going to Grand Canyon before we visit Las Vegas?

Really appreciate your help

Default It's your trip.

The beauty of the road trip is that you can plan it to suit you, we are here to try and help you get the best from your trip, and confirm if your plans are realistic or not and offer advice, but you need to "put it out there." To help you get started my thoughts are, If I were to do a loop, then Yes, I would do coast > Gc> Vegas> Death valley> Yosemite and back to San Fran. Of course that's me and as Michael said, you need to research and find what works for you, and then we can help you piece your trip together. With 14 days you have time to do this, but again you need a little research to find out where you want to spend your time.

How long would it take us to drive from Las Vegas to San Francisco?
    For instance the above could be done in a long day [excluding Death valley] but a night in or close to Death valley and one [even better,two] nights in Yosemite and it makes a nice three or 4 day trip. With, for instance 3 days in SF at the beginning or end of your trip that's one week gone. A couple of days down the coast, at the Grand canyon and Vegas with an extra one travelling from coast to Grand canyon and that's your 14 days.
    Of course you need to decide how to do things but that's quite a good basis to build your trip from.

8. Default San Francisco to Las Vegas

Hi Dave

Thats brilliant thanks for your help.

By Coast at the beginning im presuming you mean carmel?

How long would it take us to drive from here to the Grand Canyon? is a short journey or can you suggest us stopping somewhere along the way?

Thanks claire

Default More of the coast ?

By Coast at the beginning im presuming you mean carmel?
    Sorry I perhaps should have been clearer. I was thinking of SF to Carmel area [1 night] and then continuing down the coast on route 1 through Big Sur towards Morro bay [ another night] and enjoy the scenery of the PCH [amazing]. From the Morro Bay area it is around 650 miles to Grand canyon and an overnight stop would be recommended, Somewhere like Lake Havasu or Kingman would be possibility's but once again these are suggestions and I would continue with your research.

10. Default San Francisco to Las Vegas round trip

Hi there

me and my husband are doing a trip in September, starting in San Francisco, and are planning then to drive to Carmel, then to Morro Bay! Once we have been to Las Vegas we are then planning to drive via death valley and yosemite national park and then back to San Francisco.

The bit we are stuck with is where to stop of in between Morrow Bay and Las Vegas, could any of you give us some advise please, we would be really grateful.

Thanks claire
    Last edited by Midwest Michael; 06-21-2009 at 01:37 PM. Reason: merged - please do not create new threads about the same trip