1. Default West Coast to East Coast - Travel Partner Wanted July -2009

Hello All,

I've never taken on a journey of such length and scope, but I'm planning on going coast to coast (West to East) in July of 2009. I'm planning on 9-10 days of travel. I live in Boston and plan to fly to the West Coast to begin my journey. Obviously since I'm flying out, I'll be renting a car for the trip. Whether I start in Washington, Oregon or California really doesn't concern me too much. It's about the journey, not the starting point or the destination.

I'm looking for the following:

1. Advice on potential routes to take - I have no preset agenda and no particular areas I NEED to see. As such, I'm receptive to all sorts of ideas. I grew up near the ocean and it is a major part of my life. But, I also love nature in any form.

2. Information on where I might post a listing looking for a travel buddy. My friends and family are all pretty much married with kids and unable to do such a road trip. I'd like to find at least one other person interested in making the trip with me. I can't fathom making this trip alone as I think after 2 or 3 10 hour car days I would be burned out.

Thanks for any help the community might be able to give.

Green County, Wisconsin

Default wide open

Welcome to the RTA Forum!

I've started by moving your thread to the share the gas section, which might help finding another traveler. You might also try looking for other dedicated rideshare board, or online classifieds like Craigslist.

As far as the rest of your trip plan goes, you've got things so wide open, its hard for us to provide much for details to help. I will say that with only 9-10 days, you might not have as much time as you might think. Its a solid 5-6 days to drive cross country, driving pretty much all day every day. Now, having 10 days would allow you to stop and see some things, but you certainly will have to keep moving forward and won't have lots of time to explore.

I'll also say that driving 10 hours day after day can burn anyone out. If you end up doing this trip yourself (and remember, that's the only way you'll be able to go exactly where you want to go), keep your driving days shorter, but again, just make sure you are traveling at least a few hundred miles east every day.

3. Default

Hi Dave,

Were you able to do your West Coast to East Coast road trip last year? How was it?

Green County, Wisconsin

Joyce, I'm sorry to tell you that Dave posted here in May of 2009, and has never since returned to the forum. It's very unlikely you'll get a response, but if you look around the field reports section of the forum you will find lots of field reports from people who did come back and share their experiences

5. Default

Hi Michael,

I thought so. Some times when people receive a reply/posting for their thread they end up replying. I am mainly interested in a travel partner who could be helpful by sharing driving responsibility.

Thanks for your response!