1. Default Orange Co. Calif to Central Wisconsin...Ideas?

Hi. Yet another new kid with questions. Thanks for being here.

Details:
    •Retired...all the time in the world, but see next item.
    •VERY small self-contained RV...excessive togetherness could lead to crime page headlines...we're okay with a motel stop every three days or so.
    •We'd rather have two different routes:
    ~Outbound--SoCal to WI--will be the sightseeing leg.
    ~Inbound--WI to SoCal--one of us will be a week or two post-op from a surgery that will interfere with driving ability. Soooo, that part should be Interstates and easy driving.
    •Challenging driving--or mechanical aptitude--not our forte. We shouldn't stray TOO far from services. (Last summer's outing involved a $3000, five-hour ambulance trip. "Costy" and not fun.)
    •We'd like to stop to visit friends in Lincoln, NE and outside of Denver...going either way.
    •The fools at one of the LV strip hotels have me confused with some high roller and have comped me a few days in a nice place. We'd prefer that on the way home. (We're previous area residents, so we don't need to visit the dam. We're going to visit the spa.)

We've never been to the cave dwelling places in northern AZ, or to Denver or Nebraska or Iowa. LOVE Chicago, but can skip it this time.

Any experiences to share?

Thanks,

Sue

You didn't say where in central WI, so I assumed Madison for doing the mapping. The shotest/fastest Interstate route back just happens to take you through Lincoln, Denver, and Las Vegas. This would be whatever you need to take to get to I-80 somewhere in Iowa, then I-76 to Denver, I-70 to I-15 to SoCal. Funny thing - this is a 4 day trip driving about 10 hours a day, and Lincoln, Denver, and LV just happen to be your logical overnight stops.

3. Default

Thanks, glc. Good info for what I asked. Now, on to what I meant! (What? You're not into mind reading?) I'll try to ask better:

We would not drive 10 hours/day, except maybe at gunpoint...lol. More like three or four hours and then it's time for our naps, you see. (Think: old, retired folks. We have no problem with the concept of taking two weeks to get there.)

Other than staying exclusively on interstates and eating at chain restaurants and staying at identical motels and RV parks, what ELSE is out there along the way? We want to dawdle. We don't want the whole trip to include the same view. We are good-to-go at National Parks.

What do I want to see on my way to or in Denver, or along I-70 in Nebraska or in Iowa, that might be compatible with a Road Trip from SoCal to Central Wisconsin?

I think I did a little better this time!

Sue

Default The Other Way

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

For your drive out to southern California when you have lots of time, there are plenty of possibilities, but I'm going to suggest one that stays north to try to beat some of the summer heat, goes by a lot of national parks, stays as much as possible on the Interstates, and still lets you get to L.A. in a week plus whatever time you want to spend sight seeing along the way. That route would be I-90 west through southern Minnesota to western South Dakota where there are a number of places worth visiting including Wall Drug, the Badlands, Mt. Rushmore, Wind and Jewel Caves, the Crazy Horse Memorial, and Devils Tower. Then you could continue west on I-90 past the Little Bighorn Battlefield to Livingston, MT from which you would take US-89 south into Yellowstone. If you're really uncomfortable with even moderate mountain driving, head back up to Livingston when your done in the park and continue west on I-90 to I-15 south in Idaho. That would take you all the way down to Los Angeles by way of Salt Lake City, Bryce Canyon and Zion National Parks and Las Vegas.

AZBuck

Buck, I think you may have misread the intentions - the trip from SoCal to WI is the sightseeing leg and does not necessarily have to be on Interstates. It's the trip back that needs to be easy driving due to surgery recovery. Being that the easy, direct Interstates go right through their 3 desired stops (Lincoln, Denver, and LV) it would make sense to use that routing on the way back. I can certainly see a version of your northern routing for the eastbound trip, and it wouldn't necessarily have to go anywhere near those 3 cities.

Default My Bad

Ah, Yes. Still the general route and stops still hold. Just do it/them backwards!

AZBuck

7. Default

Thank you, both!