1. Default From Ireland to East coast USA...Boston and north??

Hi - trying to plan a trip (2 weeks) for east coast, flying into Boston and probably north from there. I know 2 weeks is not a very long time but, as this is my first trip to this area, I am really hoping that I can get some ideas of 'must see places' that I can work around.
    Thanks for any suggestions!

What are your interests? One person's "must see" can be another's "who cares". North may not even be the direction you would want to go. Can you help us help you and elaborate on your expectations for this trip?

Default Some Ideas

Céad Míle Fáilte! Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

While glc is right that we can't offer you things we can guarantee you'll like without knowing your tastes, we can at least point you to a few old posts that list many of New England's best sites. Have a read through those and see if anything interests you.

AZBuck

4. Default

Guys, that's great ...I am going to have a read through those now and have a think. In the meantime, a little pointer might be that while in CA last summer, my favourite place was Lake Tahoe. We are looking for scenic, sea/lake location with nice restaurants, place to chill and perhaps a bit of that old worlde charm. Any ideas would be much appreciated.
    Thanks guys...

With that criteria, you may want to make a run up the seacoast of Maine.

6. Default

Yes, glc, Maine seems to be fairy attractive throughout my research! Can you recommend any particular places taht I could go investigate? Thanks for the suggestion

Oh golly - where can I start? Perhaps I'd look at US-1 between Brunswick and Ellsworth, and on in to Acadia National Park. The major towns along that route are Brunswick, Bath, Rockland, and Camden. The coastline is quite rugged,and a lot of access requires you get off of Route 1.

If you put "Maine Tourism" into Google, there are several sites that can help you plan a trip.

One "must stop" in my opinion is the L.L. Bean store in Freeport.

8. Default

Thats great glc - thanks. What sort of driving distances are you talking about from Boston? Also, have heard much talk about Nantucket but am I better to avoid this during summer season? Is it very expensive?? Also, what about NH or am I trying to fit in too much?
    Thanks! :)

Default North vs. South

From what you've indicated you want out of this trip, "scenic" "place(s) to chill" with "a bit of that old worlde charm", I think you'd be much better off heading north from Boston and seeing the coast of New Hampshire and Maine. Nantucket is in the opposite direction (south) and will be crowded and expensive during the summer. If you remember the movie "Jaws", the scene where all the tourists descend on the fictitious Amity Island should give you a good idea of what to expect. On the other hand, there is so much coastline in Maine, with all the bays and peninsulas, that you should have no trouble finding relatively secluded spots and restaurants where you won't have to wait an hour for a seating. I think these places are mentioned in the posts I previously pointed you to, but Strawbery Banke in Portsmouth, NH; Colonial Pemaquid in New Harbor, ME; and Bar Harbor/Acadia National Park should be right up your alley.

For reference, Portsmouth is about an hour from Boston, and Portland is about another hour. You can even make it all the way to Bar Harbor in a relatively relaxed day's drive.

AZBuck

Boston to Bar Harbor via 95/295 to Brunswick, then US-1 is 266 miles. A guess for actual drive time would be in the 6 to 7 hour range, longer if it's a summer weekend. US-1 is 2 lanes most of the way and can be slow going with traffic.