1. Default Toronto to Fenwick Island

Hi to all roadtrip lovers,

My family and I (children are 5 year old and 8 months old) will go on a road trip mid-July and we need your help for the planning. We opted to follow this loop: Toronto, ON/Washington, DC/Fenwick Island, DE/Baltimore, MD/Toronto. Once we leave Toronto, we will hopefully (you never know with little people) drive for 5 or 6 hours and stop for the night. Where shall we stay? Some say we should take the 79 to Pittsburgh, some say the 99 to Altoona, PA. Which road is the best? The day after, we will drive to Washington DC and spend two nights. Any hotel suggestion not to pricy, but well located, close to all the attractions and car friendly?

It will be our first time in all those places so any suggestion regarding must sees, foodies favorite places, and so on will be greatly appreciated! We already rented a condo in Fenwick Island but we have no idea where we will stay in Baltimore...???

So far, we have a few ideas regarding the places we want to see. Please have a look a the list below and let me know if you think it is worth it:

***In Washington DC (other than the main features such as the White House, the National Mall, etc.):

The Bureau of engraving and printing

Reston Zoo

National Museum of Natural History? (We visited the one in New York last November, are they similar?)

***In Fenwick Island area

Assateague

Wallop's Flight Facility

***Baltimore MD

National Aquarium

Thanks in advance for all your help!

2. Default

For the first night stop, I'd recommend I-79 to Pittsurgh, its much less hilly and curvy than the other way. On the 99 way, you'd have to cut through state routes in Upstate NY and PA to get to it.

3. Default Thanks!

Thank you Froman!

We would have slept either in Altoona or in Pittsburgh but since you are telling me that the 99 is quite hilly, I think we will take the 79... They take you there in about the same time anyway if I am not mistaken. Thanks again!

4. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Onthego View Post
    Thank you Froman!

We would have slept either in Altoona or in Pittsburgh but since you are telling me that the 99 is quite hilly, I think we will take the 79... They take you there in about the same time anyway if I am not mistaken. Thanks again!
    BTW, how much time do you have in Pittsburgh?

For affordable and safe lodging in large cities, I'd recommend chain motels at Interstate exits outside of town, more in the suburbs. Downtown hotels are usually very pricey or in dodgy areas when they are affordable. It's going to be much the same situation as you see in the GTA.

6. Default Time in Pittsburgh

Only a few hours, just enough time to have a good dinner and maybe a stroll downtown. It will just be a pitt stop on our road trip this time around... We have been to Pittsburgh once, a long time ago, but just one night and we saw a ballgame...

7. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Onthego View Post
    Only a few hours, just enough time to have a good dinner and maybe a stroll downtown. It will just be a pitt stop on our road trip this time around... We have been to Pittsburgh once, a long time ago, but just one night and we saw a ballgame...
    Oh, I was going to say that Pittsburgh has lots of cool museums and a fun amusement park (Kennywood), but you can do that on another seperate trip in the future. Anyways, I hope you enjoy your trip! :)

Default Questions Left Unanswered

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

To address some of your other queries, I'll start by agreeing with the previous posters that your choice of routes between Toronto and Washington is I-90 to Erie, I-79 to Pittsburgh and I-70 to Washington. As for where to stop for the first night, you should aim to get by Pittsburgh so that you don't have to fight its rush hour the next morning. New Stanton, PA would probably make a good goal as there are a number of motels there near the turnpike entrance.

Washington itself is not terribly car friendly. Getting in and out can be a struggle and parking is limited and expensive, especially near the National Mall. I'd suggest that you stay outside of town near one of the subway stations near the end of a line. I know that there is a very large parking area at the Vienna station at the end of the Orange Line in Virginia and there are several stations near the Mall, White House and Capitol. 'Downtown' Washington is easily walked and that's my preferred way to see the city. You could easily spend two days on the Mall without seeing everything there is. But if you want to get out of the city for one of your days, the Reston Zoo is a kid friendly place, and also in that area is the Great Falls of the Potomac and the Chesapeake and Ohio Canal National Historical Park.

I spent every other summer when I was a kid in Fenwick Island, and it's a great place for small children still, even though it has changed a lot in the (many) years since my childhood. Just north of town is Fenwick Island State Park with some relatively unspoiled shoreline. Your 5 year old might enjoy the DiscoverSea Shipwreck Museum and/or the Fenwick Island Lighthouse. For some 'honkey-tonk' there's a comfortably scaled Boardwalk in Bethany Beach. Since you can get your beach 'fix' here, I'd also suggest that you skip Assateague Island and instead, before or after you visit Wallops Island, go to Chincoteague National Wildlife Refuge, which is just down the road.

AZBuck

9. Default

Quote Originally Posted by AZBuck View Post
    Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

To address some of your other queries, I'll start by agreeing with the previous posters that your choice of routes between Toronto and Washington is I-90 to Erie, I-79 to Pittsburgh and I-70 to Washington. As for where to stop for the first night, you should aim to get by Pittsburgh so that you don't have to fight its rush hour the next morning. New Stanton, PA would probably make a good goal as there are a number of motels there near the turnpike entrance.
    I was thinking of the route being turn off on US-22 East rather than I-70 East, then get on the Turnpike at Monroeville,PA.

Default Details

Yes, I see. Actually from I-79 south, I'd get on the Pennsulvania Turnpike (I-76 at that point) north of Pittsburgh and follow it around the northeast side of the city to New Stanton where the Turnpike becomes I-70. And yes, I know that technically I-70 goes to Baltimore and not Washington, requiring a short drive on the spur route I-270.

AZBuck