Thread: LA to San Fran

1. Default LA to San Fran

Hi All,

We are doing a short road trip from LA to San Fran over 3 days as part of our honeymoon.

I know that the costal route is the one to take, but can anyone recommend which places to stop en-route.

We have the final night booked in San Fran so we need to fill 3 nights between LA and San Fran.

We were thinking of stopping off in Monterey to go whale watching. We want to get the best possible route planned where we will see and experience the most this part of the coast has to offer.

Would appreciate any recommendations.

Thanks

A

Default coastal stopover

This is a fairly commonly discussed topic in the forum. You can search for more details. But you could take 101N into Solvang, enjoy what this quiet Danish town has to offer. Continue N & take hwy1 to Cambria or San Simeon for an overnight stopover.
    The next day, you can leisurely drive through Big Sur until you reach Monterey.

Happy Planning!
    cool

Default Somewhere to start.

Congratulations, Hello and welcome to the R.T.A. forums !

Three days is a nice amount of time for the fantastic drive along the PCH. As cool suggested, there is lots of info available by searching the forums. Hearst castle is very popular and recommended place to visit, but you would need to book a tour in advance. These threads offer a lot of info on the coast; Here and Here will give you a good feel for the area and here's a great shot of the waterfall atthe Julia Pfieffer state park.

I hope that will answer some of your questions but if you have any more just ask !

Default Cambria!

Quote Originally Posted by cool View Post
    This is a fairly commonly discussed topic in the forum. You can search for more details. But you could take 101N into Solvang, enjoy what this quiet Danish town has to offer. Continue N & take hwy1 to Cambria or San Simeon for an overnight stopover.
    The next day, you can leisurely drive through Big Sur until you reach Monterey.

Happy Planning!
    cool
    While traveling the Pacific Coast Highway from Monterey to Ventura about a year and a half ago, my wife and I stopped for a late lunch at Cambria. We agreed it would be a magnificent place to spend a night or two, or more. There is an old section of the PCH running along a 20-30' bluff above the beach, a boardwalk/sidewalk complex with stairways leading to the beach along the bluff, a point-break surfing spot right there, and a series of very nice motels, restaurants, and bars mixed in among the motels, all essentially right on the beach (the PCH is re-routed a very short distance east at that particular point). I did some informal online research into lodging rates later that night, in Ventura, and while the rates weren't cheap, they were not "big city" expensive, either. Based on a 2 hour al fresco lunch on a beautiful Autumn afternoon in the middle of the week, I give Cambria an A+ as an overnight stop along the PCH.

We had entered the PCH at Monterey earlier that day, at around 10am. It was around 2:30-3:00 when we arrived at Cambria, and that included at least a dozen, probably more, pull-out stops along the PCH, none of much greater then 10 or so minutes duration, save for a 45 minute stop just north of Cambria at the elephant seal watching beach, near the entrance to San Simeon. I offer this just to emphasize it's possible to leave Cambria and get to Monterey and have a most leisurely drive in between, with plenty of stops.

Enjoy planning and taking your PCH Road Trip!

Foy

If cost is a major issue, there's a Motel 6 in San Simeon, the rates are around $70. However, I would think being on your honeymoon, you would want something more romantic.