Default Help! - Forms, Documents, Licences and Jabs

Hi All

We are looking to do a road trip for three weeks around the West Coast of America for our honeymoon this October and I wanted to make 100% sure we have all the right paperwork.
    A few internet searches have been a bit contradictory and left me slightly confused! When we arrive we want to make sure we can both firstly get into the country and secondly both be able to drive, otherwise it could be a disastrous start to a road trip!! We are coming from the UK and I have never been to the States before so any help would be appreciated.

My questions if anyone is able to help are:

Do we need international driving licences or is a normal UK licence sufficient?

I have an old style UK licence with no picture card, will I need to get a new style licence?

I gather that we will need to fill in the new ESTA form online to get into the USA does anyone know if we need any other documents other than this and a passport?

My fiancÚ is Canadian, but lives in the UK, does he need any other documents to get in? (I have been reading that he may need something called a Nexus card?)

Do you know if we need any jabs? I am sure that we will not need anything, however with this recent problem with swine flu in Mexico I am not sure if this may be close enough that they are advising precautions.

I just want to make sure we don't get off to a bad start on the trip so I am being a little over cautious, but hey better safe than sorry!

Really excited about the trip - can't wait :-)

Thank you all

Cat x

Default relax

I really don't think you have anything to worry about.

First, your UK drivers license is just fine. As long as you have your passport with you, I don't think it should even be a problem that it doesn't have a photo.

As long as your fiance has a passport, there shouldn't be any problems either. I suspect the Nexus thing you have been seeing is the border crossing card, but that is only for people who don't have a passport and are crossing the border by land.

There haven't been any new restrictions for vaccinations (and there isn't even one available for swine flu anyway), at least none that I'm aware of.

Default Ok I shall chill out :-)

Hello again Michael

Thank you for your reply, That is really helpful. I guess my good old trusty licence will be fine - brilliant!

In regards to swine flu, yes I guess that they haven't got the jab for that one quite yet. It will be interesting to see what develops over the next few months. There is a bit of over the top press panic in the UK at the moment and I believe you cannot fly out to Mexico at the moment. Hopefully this will all be resolved before October, well if not I guess we will all be in trouble by then!

So I will try to chill... honest I'm not a bridezilla I promise ;-)

If your driver's license doesn't have a picture, I'd recommend you upgrade it on general principles. Even though you have a valid passport, it could be less hassles if you have to prove your identity.

Hi glc

My only reason not to update the licence unless needed is because when I get back from honeymoon I will need to be changing all my documents due to getting married and changing my name, so I would rather avoid the cost of doing it twice unless I really need to.

Understandable. It won't be required. If you are asked for ID over here, you should show your passport and your license if the license doesn't have a picture. You will very likely be asked for ID when you use a credit card.

Hi glc

That's a good tip about the ID for a Credit Card purchase. I will make sure that I don't shut the passport deep inside the bottom of the suitcase!!

I only wish I could still get asked for my age to buy alcohol - now that would be nice!!

Cheers

Cat