Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default Please help! Which roadtrip is best?!

Hi all,

Some of you may remember me from a while back asking for some help in planning a road trip for 4 young Brits in your fine country - you will be pleased to know I am back for some more help!

Unfortunately, the previous trip never got off the ground due to us not being able to get the 3 weeks off we wanted, which pretty much blew our plan out of the water. However, we have managed to get 2 weeks and 3 days (why we can't get the 3 weeks I have no idea!!) which means we have 19 days to play with.

Anyways, the reason for my return to this forum is that in trying to get our original plan to fit to the reduced vacation we realised there was so much we wanted to do and see!! So, I am looking for some suggestions as to what would be the ultimate road trip! The sort of trip that becomes legend!

Our original trip was to head to Vegas for 3 nights, pick up a car and make our way to Colorado via Grand Canyon, Monument Valley, Black Canyon of Gunnison NP and ending up in Estes Park, staying at an awesome cabin I found in the rocky mountains. The journey here would take a few nights, and we would stay at Estes Park for 3 - 5 days. From here we would head north to Mount Rushmore, and then across to Yellowstone NP. Again stay a few nights, before heading back to Vegas via Utah.

As good as that sounds we have a number of other ideas -

Miami - New Orleans - Austin - Phoenix - Vegas
    or
    Chicago - St Louis - Kansas City - Estes Park - Grand Canyon - Vegas
    or
    Fly to Vegas, drive around California and return to Vegas
    or
    East Coast (probably New York) to Vegas via Chicago.

Obviously Vegas is important for us, but which of the above do you good people think would be best? We arenít just looking for a commute - we want to see great scenery, do exciting activities, meet fantastic people, and to just have an awesome time.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks! (Again!)
    Last edited by Southwest Dave; 05-06-2009 at 02:31 PM. Reason: Preferred link format

Default Welcome back !

We don't do "best" around here as it is a personal point of view and it really depends on what has the most appeal to you.
    For me personally I would prefer your original choice but would consider visiting more of Utah and Colorado and perhaps dropping Rushmore and Yellowstone due to time factors or the Vegas/California trip adding in GC and Utah, but that's me, all your choices have their own merits and only you and your group can decide which one is for you.
    When you have done that part I am sure we could help you "fine tune" your plan with your preferred route.

With 19 days I'd fly Las Vegas and do the Grand Circle

Tony J Case, Super Genius Guest

Quote Originally Posted by JamesLondon View Post
    As good as that sounds we have a number of other ideas -

Miami - New Orleans - Austin - Phoenix - Vegas
    or
    Chicago - St Louis - Kansas City - Estes Park - Grand Canyon - Vegas
    or
    Fly to Vegas, drive around California and return to Vegas
    or
    East Coast (probably New York) to Vegas via Chicago.
    19 days, huh? If I were you in that position, I would probably go from Chicago down to the Grand Canyon along Route 66 and then shoot up into Vegas. This time table would be tweaked a bit of course, depending on how much you wanted to focus on one area or another. But 19 days should be enough to stroll that highway at a nice, leisurely pace.

5. Default

Route 66 is great, and I'll be doing it soon, but I'll be taking longer than 19 days.

The trip from Miami to Vegas by way of New Orleans is a long one. Yes, it's a straight run once you get to nprth Florida, but Texas is enormous, and when you have an ultimate destination in mind, that long drive through Texas seems even longer, even when stopping to enjoy the state along I-10.

Once when I flew to Las Vegas from New Orleans, I also rented a car and took a fabulous side trip along Route 66 in Arizona. Talk about spectacular! Driving winding 66 up the mountains to Oatman was the highlight. Definitely worth the trip. I only had a week, so couldn't include other things like the Grand Canyon and California, so I'll be jumping on Route 66 in Oklahoma City in a few weeks to take the road to the end (L.A., Cal.), , catching the sites I missed previously, including the Grand Canyon (about 58 miles north of Route 66 from Williams, Arizona), parts of Utah, and definitely including the Las Vegas area. This time I have three weeks.

So, if Las Vegas and the surrounding area (CA, UT, etc) are your prime goals, I say fly to LV. But if seeing more of the USA is your goal, if you drive from anywhere, it'll cut down on your time in LV and the sites in the neighboring states.

Just for the record, LV has some great price bargains now.

Let us know what you decide.

6. Default

Hey,

thanks for the replies so far.

I think our problem is that we just want to do too much. Vegas is a must and we will spend 3 nights here, but its really the start point that we are struggling with. We dont want to start in Vegas as we want to have this as the end goal, but we need a start point that with direct flights from London - ie. Major cities. We have considered flying to LA or San fran, but we want to spend a few nights camping in Colorado, so that would be tricky.
    Chicago is a possible start point - I went there last year and loved it, so would jump at the chance to go back - only problem is there is a big gap between Chicago and Colorado, and from what I have been told there isnt a great deal to keep us occupied. At least for 4 20somethings.
    The only other options I can see are Miami to Vegas or Washington to Vegas. Miami would be awesome, stopping off at the everglades, and working our way up through Alabama, to New Orleans and onwards. Washington would be cool for the National monuments, and the sheer amount of history in that area.

Only thing is would we have enough time for them? We have 19 days in all, but with 3 in Vegas, we only have 16 for the journey. We aim to stay in Colorado at a cabin for 4-5 days, so that gives us 11/12 days.

Has anyone ever tried such a trip? We would be happy to do "driving days", but we dont want it to end up just being a huge commute!

Thanks for your help guys,

Default the obvious?

Well, if you want to spend the majority of your trip in Colorado and Las Vegas, and you want to end your trip in Vegas, then I think the obvious answer would be to fly into Denver. Both United and BA offer direct flights, and then you could spend all of your time exploring Colorado and Utah (or any of the other western states if you'd like to expand things out farther.)

Default Agreed.

Yep, it might not look "far enough" for you on the map, but as for trying to see to much there is a lifetimes worth of exploring between Denver and Vegas alone that offers the most spectacular scenery. As well as the Rockies, Monument valley, GC etc that you mentioned in your first post a few more to add could include Arches, Mesa Verde, Canyon De Chelley, Capitol reef, Bryce canyon, Zion and many more !

Decisions, decisions ! ;-)

[FYI, ebookers has/had just reduced the price of a direct flight to Denver with United and is/was about £45 per person cheaper than any other offers for the same flight. I know because I have just booked mine ! ]
    Last edited by Southwest Dave; 05-11-2009 at 01:08 AM. Reason: Added info

Congrats on your booking SW Dave! Can I come? I'll carry the bags everywhere you go -lol-
    James, definitely fly Denver. Even 16 days will be too short to see it all but the whole wide area between Denver and Las Vegas is dotted with the most fantastic place on earth. If you want more detailed info, please let us know.
    Yeehaw

Default Reserve list.

Thanks for the offer Yeehaw ! If the wifes back starts to play up I will let you know ;-)