1. Default 1st road trip with children

I am planning a road trip for June. We will be leaving Amarillo on June 2, 2009 to arrive in Los Angeles around the 7th. I will be traveling with 2 children (10 & 7).

What are fun things to see and do along the way? I want this to be a very memorable trip

Any suggestions would be appreciated

Tucson, AZ

Default Family Fun on Forty

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

With 5 or 6 days to make the 1100 mile trip, you'll have plenty of time for side trips and to actually enjoy some of the great places along I-40 and I-15 on your way to Los Angeles. Major stops near the main highway include Petroglyph National Monument, Petrified Forest National Park, Meteor Crater, aND of course a side trip to the Grand Canyon, Las Vegas can also be added without too much of a detour. But in addition to the big stops, you should also take some time out of the car to just enjoy some quieter, simpler venues.

Albuquerque, New Mexico

Another place I would recommend is the Tinkertown Museum, just outside of Albuquerque. I’m sure the children would enjoy it, and it only takes about 10 minutes to get there from the Interstate.

4. Default

Amarillo to Los Angeles, that's old Route 66. Makes plans to see some of the great sites along the road. The children will treasure the memories as they get older. History, you know, they'll be part of it, even though it's long after it's heyday, and the road was decommissioned ages ago. There is still lots to see and do along the old road.

They might love seeing Oatman, Arizona, a real life "ghost" town where burros roam the street, and there are gunfights on Saturday afternoons. The winding highway between Kingman and Oatman is a trip in itself.

Lots of info and links can be found here, even though a few of the links don't work:

Have a wonderful trip and be prepared to hear, "Are we there yet?" quite frequently.
    Last edited by Alexa; 05-06-2009 at 09:50 AM.