1. Default Palm Springs to Vegas

My wife and I will be visiting California from Scotland in September this year, we will be staying in Palm Springs for 7 days them driving to Las Vegas. Although I believe driving the route in one day is possible we are thinking about stopping overnight somewhere on route, can anyone recommend a stopover location or should I head straight to Vegas.

Las Vegas, Nevada

Default Depending on the route

Welcome to the Great American RoadTrip Forum! Depending upon which route you follow it's about a 1/2 day trip between Palm Springs and Las Vegas -- it could be done as fast as 4.5 hours or as long as 6.5 hours. However, there is a very cool place to stop on the way. The Twenty-nine Palms Inn has long been a secret hideaway for Hollywood elite and it also provides a great way station for exploring Joshua Tree National Park and the Mojave Preserve on your way to Las Vegas.

The Netherlands

That's a good idea. You can drive from Palm Springs via ca62 to the West entrance station of Joshua Tree NP but before that make a short sidetrip to Pioneertown just a short drive from Yucca Valley into the mountains. Then explore the NW side of JTNP and leave this NP via Oasis Visitor Center east of Twentynine Palms. See the murals in 29Palms and stay for the night. Then next day drive Amboyroad to Amboy, see Amboy Crater, stop at Roy's Cafe (an old R66 icon) see the shoetree, drive up north to Mojave National Preserve, see Kelso Dunes, stop at the depot/visitor center and drive to Las Vegas. From 29Palms to Las Vegas is some 4 hours, plus the stops of course.