Born & raised just outside of NYC

Default New York to Maine

Hello Everyone! I need some help planning a trip from NYC to Maine. I have absolutely no agenda right now and we plan to leave on May 14th. It was a pretty spontaneous idea but we want to make sure we see beautiful scenery, perhaps a Nat'l park and wildlife, specifically moose! :) We will be there for 3 nights/3 days in total. We will probably drive along the coast for a while but we're not really interested in beaches and touristy spots.

I'll be traveling with my boyfriend and possibly our dog. We have been on many roadtrips together, including from NY to Key West, Toronto, etc, but this is our first time taking a dog along. So, if anyone has recommendations for travelling with a dog to and around Maine, I'd greatly appreciate it!

Thanks so much for any advice! :)

Tucson, AZ

Default "Maine" (and maybe a substitute or two)

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

It's a full, but easy day's drive from NYC to central Maine. So driving up and back will use up the better part of 2 of your 3 days. That doesn't leave you a lot of time to spend in Maine, so I'm hesitant to send you to what I think most meets your stated goals, namely Baxter State Park. Rather, I'm going to suggest that you just go as far as Portland on your first day and enjoy walking the Eastern Promenade or Portland Head Light at sunset, then hit the waterfront for some night life. The for your one full day in 'Maine' head north up through the Sebago Lake region to Fryeburg and then take ME-113 north through Evans Notch to Gilead. A short jog west on US-2 to Gorham, NH where there are organized moose tours if you haven't come across one on your own up to this point. You can then head home through New Hampshire and Vermont over your last day or so visiting small towns and roaming the White and Green Mountains and Connecticut River valley.

Born & raised just outside of NYC

Thanks for the welcome and advice AZ Buck! I didn't even think about driving back through New Hampshire and Vermont. Good idea! I just spoke with my boyfriend and we'd actually leave NY for Maine on Thursday afternoon and head back from Maine on Sunday. So, it looks like we'll have two full days to explore Maine. I looked up Baxter State Park and it's definitely beautiful but may be too far.

Thanks again!