1. Default San Francisco to Kansas City roadtrip

Hi, I'm new to this forum and absolutely love the tips and feedback given on here.

I'm a 25 yo female moving out to Kansas City, MO for the next year and interested in making a roadtrip out there in mid-June. I'll be driving by myself in my manual acura coupe and so I wanted some advice on the best route to take which involves the shortest and safest (in regards to plenty of gas and food stops) but with also some scenic views.

So far I've been planning on going from SF to Salt Lake, UT to Denver, CO to Kansas City. Is it feasible to only spend the night in salt lake and denver? I know that the first leg from SF to Salt Lake would be the longest.

Should I stick to I-70 most of the way or I-50?

Joplin MO

The shortest and fastest route is I-80 all the way to Lincoln, NE, then NE-2 to I-29 to KC. This is a 3 day drive (1800 miles), spend the nights in Wells, NV or Wendover, UT and Laramie or Cheyenne, WY. This will have you on the road for 12 hours a day including minimal rest, food, and gas stops.

Tucson, AZ

Default Two (More of Less) Possibilities

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

The are two basic routes gthat are almost equivalent, The first is the most direct and meets your criterion for "plenty of gas and food stops" and that is to take I-80 to Lincoln, NE, then use NE-2 to cut over to I-29 south into Kansas City. The second is a bit more scenic but involves using US-50, the Loneliest Road in America, across Nevada and Utah to eventually get on I-70 over the San Rafael Swell and the Colorado Rockies, then on to Kansas City.

Your plan to go by way of Salt Lake City and Denver sounds like you plan to split the difference between those two. Unfortunately, it is a bit too far to try make it to K.C, in three days. Making it to Salt Lake City in one day is just not really in the card. That would be over 730 miles from San Francisco, well over the 500-550 miles or so that we recommend as a full day's drive. Using I-80, well spaced stops for three nights might be something like Elko, NV; Rawlings, WY; and Lincoln, NE, leaving you a final 'day' of just 200 miles into K.C. Similarly, if you take US-50/I-70, stops might be approximately Ely, NV; Glenwood Springs, CO; and Hays, KS, again leaving a final day of about 270 miles.