Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default Car - Buy&Sell or Rent

Hello all,
    I'm intrested in making a road trip in the US (i'm not from us..)
    for about 2-4 month
    as a part of the trip i'm planning on traveling in national parks and making a few days trips in those, also traveling to big cities and such...
    mainly a long road trip from coast to coast... maybe even some alaska..
    so my question is, is it better to rent a car or to buy one ?

the considrations are:
    1.Money - the cost, when you buy you can also sell later and maybe return some of the cost

2.I'm 22 years old and i'm about to travel with 2-3 more people

3.I'm afraid to buy and then the car will break down or something and with rentals you have insurance...

So, what are you opinions on this ? remember i'm not local..

Thank you !

Disclaimer - I have not personally dealt with these people, I am only going off a Lonely Planet listing - but these people claim to ease the major hassles that visitors will encounter trying to buy a car.

Default a common problem

Welcome to the RTA Forum!

This is a question we get quite often, and to sum things up: Unless you are going to be on the road for at least 2-3 months, its probably not worth buying. However, even if you will be gone that long, you'll find that it is very difficult to purchase a car (and deal with taxes, license, and insurance) if you are visiting the US as a tourist, especially under the visa waiver program.

Here are some of the pros and cons of buying/renting and here are some of the major challenges you face while trying to buy as a non-resident.

4. Default

Thank you both for the reply, sorry for not looking so good for similar topics.

Oh and glc, the link you gave me isnt working.

Default working here

I'm getting the link to work without problems, you might want to try again.

6. Default

Ok guys thank you very much you helped me alot.
    I think after all the reading and talking to guys who been there, I will actually rent a car unless i'll find a realy good deal with those buy&sale from the same guy things.

Thanks again.

Check out Adventures on Wheels as well. They do not have the under 25 surcharge. Their minimum age is 21.

8. Default

Thanks, thats nice, they even have good pickup&dropoff locations.

Do you of any good renting company which also have a pick up location in Alaska ?

Default very very tough

I would check out Adventures on Wheels, but don't expect things to be drastically cheaper. Renting cars to people under 25 costs companies more in insurance costs, and they always find a way to pass those costs onto the young renter. It might not be in the obvious form of a daily surcharge, but there is almost always some sort of catch. Again, it doesn't mean you shouldn't look, it just means you need to make sure you're reading all the fine print too.

I'm not aware of any companies that will allow one way rentals to or from Alaska. If you find any let us know, but I can't think of anyone who has ever reported any success with that idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Midwest Michael View Post
    I'm not aware of any companies that will allow one way rentals to or from Alaska. If you find any let us know, but I can't think of anyone who has ever reported any success with that idea.
    Michael is spot on.... and even fewer willl rent to you if you tell them you are going to take it to Alaska.

When in 2004 I drove a Budget car to Alaska, I asked many times, just to confirm, that I could take it anywhere in the US and Canada. And I was assured I could. I doubt that he even suspected I would be mad enough to drive it all the way to Alaska.......................

and back again..... in four weeks!

Lifey who is on her way too Prudhoe Bay