Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default First Road Trip. Help Please.

So a friend of mine is driving to Texas in a few weeks. I decided to take the ride with him from New York. We only have like 10 days, but once I get there, I'll be flying back and he'll be staying in Texas for school. Along the way, we want to see the Grand canyon, even though it's a little out of the way. We also wanna hike some trails. Maybe catch a rodeo? Any pointers for first-timers? I'm going to use this thread to ask questions as we come across them. Hope someone can help.

Thanks in advance,
    Nick & Larry

Default big targets

Welcome to the RTA Forum!

A couple things you should be aware of. First of all, Texas is a very big place to call a destination, and since your potential targets could be more than 1000 miles apart.

I will also say that it is very easy to forget just how big this country is. The Grand Canyon is likely going to be far more than "a little out of the way." For comparison sake, it is almost the same distance from New York to Austin as it is from Austin to the Grand Canyon! Put simply, you're looking at a 1700 mile trip direct to Texas, but if you add the Grand Canyon, you'd be looking at about 4000.

Now with 10 days, that's still doable, but you will be looking at about 8 full days of driving. If you want to spend lots of time hiking, seeing, and doing things along the way, you might not want to go quite so far out west.

Tony J Case, Super Genius Guest

In all the traveling (Both road-tripping and overseas) I've done, I've found one rule to be true: You never have enough time.

The best thing you could to would be research the heck out of the route/destination you're going, come up with a huge list of "Man, that would be cool to see/do" and then realize that you'll only see a quarter of it. :)

Seriously tho, if you do one site/destination a day, you're probably doing pretty good.

4. Default

Ok. The plan we have is to drive strait to the grand canyon. We are thinking about taking 'the mother road' across the country, depending on how long it will take. We plan to stop, eat, and perhaps hike some of the sites we see along the way. After that we are driving to Lubbock, Texas where we will part ways on may 30th/31st. We will be leaving NYC sometime between May 19th-21st. Is it feasible to travel that whole way while stopping at some interesting sites along the way? Should we cut the grand canyon out of our trip completely? Any suggestions on what could make this road trip better is appreciated.

It will take you 5 days to get to the GC from NY, driving about 10 hours a day. It's about 2500 miles. It's 2 days to get to Lubbock from there - it's 820 miles. If you have 10 days, you have 3 extra days to play with.

Tony J Case, Super Genius Guest

As I understand it (not having driven it myself) you need 14 days to really and truly drive route 66. Sure it could be done faster, but you'll miss so much along the way.

Tony, that would be from Chicago to LA, following today's I-55/I-44/I-40/I-15/I-10. A lot of the old road doesn't even exist any more, it's been covered over by the Interstate or simply abandoned. Where you find a lot of "Historic Route 66" is through towns and cities where the Interstate was built as a bypass. The most significant stretches of the old road still in existence are west of the Grand Canyon - from Seligman AZ almost all the way to Barstow, CA. There have been books written on how to follow it in excruciating detail - and over the years the official alignment of 66 changed frequently too. I can see that right near me here, there are multiple "old 66" alignments.

Default your trip, your decision

Quote Originally Posted by GoBanana View Post
    Is it feasible to travel that whole way while stopping at some interesting sites along the way? Should we cut the grand canyon out of our trip completely?
    Ultimately, you have to decide what kind of trip works best for yourself. Going out to the Grand Canyon is possible under your timeframe, as is following the path of Route 66, and stopping to see some of the attractions that still remain along the sections of the old road. But if you go all the way out west to the Canyon, it does mean you're going to have to spend a lot more time in the car, and less time stopping and exploring. If seeing the Grand Canyon is a major priority for you, then its probably worth it, but only you can decide what balance will work best for you.

9. Default

Thanks for the replies. We decided we are going to go strait to lubbock and decide when we get there if there is enough time for the canyon. However, we have decided to stop at some fishing and camping areas. If anybody knows about good fishing in route between NYC and Lubbock please let us know. Thank you for your replies.

10. Default Change of Plans again...

Ok so here's where we're at. we are leaving on saturday which is the 16th. we have to arrive in lubbock no later than the 29th so that's 13 days on the road. we are packing camping gear and are going to camp along the way. we got a wireless internet card to find places to fish and camp every night instead of setting that all up right now. we plan on heading to the grand canyon and then down to lubbock. anyone see anything wrong with our plans? this is our first road trip and i hope we're not overlooking anything. is it gonna be ok to find campsites along the way with gps and internet? also, what route should we take? should i take mapquest directions or does anyone suggest a better route?

Thanks in advance,
    Nick and Larry