1. Default Americatown! Road Trip Movie Questions

Hey guys, great forum you've got here. I'm directing a film this summer called Americatown. A big part of the film is the idea that all these American landmarks all exist in the same small town. So a small crew and I will be traveling cross country (around 8,000 miles) over 40 days and I'm wondering what the best advice you guys have as far as a rental vehicle. We are wanting to rent a minivan for that period of time. What do you guys think is the best route to take / what type of coverage should we get? Many thanks for everything! - Kenneth Price
    Last edited by AZBuck; 04-28-2009 at 04:59 PM. Reason: New members may not link to commercial sites

Default What a fun movie idea!

And I think you should hire me as a consultant to travel along to make your travel arrangements, LOL. I kid, I kid...but I probably wouldn't turn you down.

Welcome to the Roadtrip America forums.

So a small crew and I will be traveling cross country (around 8,000 miles) over 40 days and I'm wondering what the best advice you guys have as far as a rental vehicle. We are wanting to rent a minivan for that period of time.
    A minivan sounds like a good choice. Most, if not all, rental agencies carry them. However, we're not going to be able to give you advice on a specific company to go with. You're just going to have to visit the websites for Hertz, Avis, Budget, Dollar, etc., and plug in your travel dates, pick-up and drop-off location(s), etc. and see what they quote you. There are too many variables to know which will have the best deal. Sorry, there's no easy way to do this.

If cost is an issue, you should check with your current auto insurance carrier to see if they cover you in a rental car as you might not need the supplemental insurance. Also, if you pay for the rental on some credit cards, you don't need the insurance. So check out those as well.

If possible, you might want to do a test with a minivan to see if your crew, their luggage, and your equipment all fit properly. If nothing else, this would give you an idea of how to pack things most efficiently.

What do you guys think is the best route to take / what type of coverage should we get?
    I'm unclear what you mean by "type of coverage".

As for route, well...wouldn't that depend on what American landmarks you plan to include? 40 days will give you enough time to travel to the major landmarks across the US. However, I know next-to-nothing about filming but don't you sometimes need to wait for certain lighting conditions? Or even weather? I'm thinking this could slow you down making 40 days a tight squeeze. Or I could be all wet on that. You would have a better feel for that than I would, of course.

Are you asking for landmark suggestions?

If you already know your landmarks, the easiest way to generate a route is to get a larger fold-out or wall map of the US and mark the location of the landmarks you'll be filming. A general route should jump out at you. Of course, we'll be glad to help you tweak the route and to offer any other suggestions to help make this trip smooth and work well for your needs.

We just need you to be a bit more specific about what your needs are. Looking forward to hearing more from you about this project.

3. Default Thanks!

Thank so much for this info, I'll surely be back between now and when we leave in June. Great site!

That sounds like a great project.

Please keep us informed as to how it works out.