Thread: Two Way Radios

1. Default Two Way Radios

My wife and I will be driving from Seattle to Raleigh next month in separate cars, and I thought that it would be a good idea to use walkie talkies to communicate with each other. Does anyone have any suggesstions for models of radios that work well for something like that?

Tucson, AZ

Default The Three Basic Options

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

A pair of 'walkie-talkie' radios (more correctly handheld transceivers or GMRS/FRS radios) is just one of the options available to you. A pair of serviceable units can be had for around $75 with a typical range up to 25 miles. But if you already have cell phones, then there's little need to buy new equipment as cell coverage is usually pretty continuous along the interstate highways for most major carriers. The third possibility is CB radios if being able to communicate between cars on the road is something that you'll be wanting to do often. CB units often come with weather band radio as well, another advantage to that option for traveling. For a little more insight into the relative benefits of CB and FRS, take a look at this discussion.

Joplin MO

FRS may advertise up to 25 miles, but the last trip I took with a set (decent Motorolas) we got about a mile and a half.

4. Default

I know a few people who have done this when driving in seperate vehicles with the in laws or parents. I have a set, I'd give it a try if I had to.