1. Default Washington DC to Buffalo - Help Please

Hi guys,
    I am flying in with my family (wife, teen daughter, mother and father in their 70's) to NYC where we will spend a few days and then down to DC for a few days. No problem so far.

However we then plan to drive from DC to Niagra, and then head back towards NYC for our flights home, via NY state. Basically from when we leave DC until we arrive back in NYC, we have 6 days in total and are planning an overnight in Buffalo to allow time to do all the main Niagra tourist attractions.

It looks like DC to Buffalo is circa 600 miles. Does anyone have any advice on good places to stop overnight enroute or things to see/do along the way? Similarly, does anyone have any suggestions for upsate NY, anywhere between Buffalo and Central Valley area (I have to stop for a night at Woodbury Common for the wife!).

Many thanks for all your suggestions

Washington state coast/Olympic Peninsula

Default Sounds like a lovely trip

Welcome to the Roadtrip America forums!

Unfortunately, I'm not familiar with the area so I can't make any personal recommendations. However, I can point you here for some great ideas.

And I'm sure somebody else will pop in with more personal knowledge eventually.

Keep asking questions!

Joplin MO

DC to Buffalo by shortest route is less than 400 miles and it's quite scenic. If you don't want to stop and explore places, it can possibly be done in one long day.

If need be, you could break it up with an overnight stay, possibly around Clearfield, PA. This is right off I-80 and has several reasonably priced chain hotels.

Tucson, AZ

Default This Still Holds

Even though these ideas were written for a 3 day dogleg that ended in Boston rather than New York City, I think you'll find them of use. Between Niagara and Albany, consider suing US-20 rather than the New York State Thruway (I-90) and explore the Erie Canal and some of the countryside, wildlife refuges and historic cities along it.

5. Default

Ladies & Gents
    Many thanks for all your assistance and ideas which are much appreciated. I'll look in to the various links you have provided. Thanks again and happy road trippin'