1. Default Atlanta-SD-MT-WY-UT-CO-AZ-and back

Looking for someone to take a motorcycle trip with me, leaving Atlanta, going to Mt Rushmore in SD, Bighorn Canyon Park in MT, Yellowstone/Grand Tetons in Wyoming, Moab Utah, Grand Canyon in AZ, (I may save Grand Canyon for the next trip, if I do, I'll take Moab, UT to the Rocky Mtns in CO, then back to ATL). This depends on whether or not I can find someone to take the trip with me. If I can find someone to go for the whole 3 weeks, I can hit the grand canyon. If not, I will ssve the grand canyon for the next trip. These are the main highlights of the trip, some highway, mostly scenic routes. I am open to suggestion and would be happy to alter the itinerary to make stops at other suggested places. Probably going to do about 400-500 miles per day. I am doing it on My KLR 650, and plan on camping some nights, and cheap hotels/motels some nights. Not planning on spending alot of money. I want to see as much as I can see before I get married and graduate from Chiropractic school this year. Any takers? I need ideas for routes to and thru these places to stay off the highways. If anyone has a good route or knows a place to make up this route, I would appreciate it. My GPS doesn't allow me to customize my route. I am working on figuring out how to download a route from the internet.

Green County, Wisconsin

Default download your brain

Welcome to the RTA Forum!

My GPS doesn't allow me to customize my route. I am working on figuring out how to download a route from the internet.
    Instead of trying to download a preplanned route, why don't you go where the road takes you? Certainly, you can build a rough path and you can use your GPS if you need to start making up some time to get back on the most direct route to your next destination. Decide for yourself what you want to do, not what something from an electronic device tells you.

How much experience do you have with long distance motorcycle rides? I'm not an expert, but I'd think riding 400-500 miles every day could get to be a bit much unless you are really comfortable on your bike.

Best of luck finding a co-traveler, but don't be afraid to head out on the road yourself either. If you go by yourself, you can do everything you want to do, and you won't have to change your goals to fit in the desires of someone else.

3. Default Atlanta-SD-MT-WY-UT-CO-AZ-and back

Well, I usually do 250 miles on a saturday by 3pm, with no stops, when I cruise around North GA. I am planning a couple long weekend trips over the next couple months to get myself in the mindset. I am very comfortable on my bike. If I had more time, I would love to just go where the road takes me, but since I only have 3 weeks, and so much to see, I have to have a route pre-planned, with the option of detours when I choose. I am not requiring that I stick to my pre-planned route, but it would be nice to have a guideline to follow, so my GPS has something to go back to if I decide to stray from my pre-planned course.

Washington state coast/Olympic Peninsula

Default I'm confused about the GPS question

I can see you wanting to input key must-sees before you leave from home but I'm not sure why you need to upload a specific route. The GPS can do that for you. And you can always go off-route at anytime and the GPS will give you the route to your next destination. GPS units are great for helping you plot a route from one place to the next but I don't think they're the best route-planning tools for a multi-stop trip.

This route should be interesting. Even if you have company, I think I'd leave off the GC for another time as you would really want multiple-days in that area to explore the GC, Zion, Bryce, etc.

It would help us to give you advice on what to see/do if we had a better handle on what kind of things you like...historic? scenic views? hiking? clubbing?

I do get the idea that you really want scenic routes. There's no better place to give you an idea of what routes would be near/along the way than the Scenic Byway website. In addition to the national scenic byways, each state has a few state-designated byways. You could create a route taking you from one scenic byway to another that are either directly on, or just a short detour off of your main route.

Hope that helps a bit. Keep asking questions.

I would definitely plan for some shorter riding days and also for a layover days to explore and get off the bike.

5. Default Atlanta-SD-MT-WY-UT-CO-AZ-and back

I guess I am a little technologically impaired. I was just afraid that if I took a detour, the GPS would re-route in order to get me back to my original route, and not re-route me to my destination. I guess I have to play with it a bit. I have the Garmin 260. It is a nice unit, but nothing fancy. And the route you suggested is pretty close to what I had planned...I have been using it as a template for a tentative route.

Joplin MO

You should pack a set of paper maps too. Be careful with a GPS - if you get out into the boonies they have been known to route you on roads that aren't roads.

Washington state coast/Olympic Peninsula

Default Maps, routes, GPS, oh my!

I had been kinda of anti-GPS and then I got one for Christmas. I think it's fun and it is handy. But I wouldn't use it for trip planning.

Mine is a Magellan so it might have different features than yours. Mine gives you options when choosing your route like fastest, shortest, most use of freeways, least use of freeways, and whether you want to avoid toll roads. But this doesn't mean it's going to pick out the most scenic way, for example.

My GPS also routes from where you are at right now. For example, I sometimes have to drive a few relatives to various medical appointments out of town and they aren't always to the same clinic or hospital. So I have the addresses for the ones we've been to in the past plugged in and named with names I can identify if we go there again. However, I don't need directions all the way from home. I know how to get to the general area. So I can turn it on at any time and the GPS will know where I'm at and route from that point.

I'm sure yours would have a similar function.

But a GPS isn't going to tell you if there's a lovely canyon to explore on the way, or a state park on one of the potential routes you might want to stop at for a short hike or a picnic lunch, or a lake where you can take a dip on a hot day. And some maps designate scenic byways (often with a series of dots) and the GPS isn't going to identify those.

Well, at least mine doesn't but mine is a pretty basic model.

Anyway, even though a GPS can certainly be handy...I especially like the identification of upcoming features, like if I need an ATM, gas, or am looking for pizza...but it can't do everything yet. Use both and I think you'll have a better trip.