1. Default Canada to Nashville

We're planning to do a roadtrip this summer from Ottawa, Canada to Nashville and would like Appalachia along the way too.

I'm also looking for that classic American 2-lane highway road trip kind of vibe. Trough small towns, and beautiful country, stuff like that.

Google suggests I-81, but Interstates tend to be boring. Any suggestions?

Thanks a bunch guys!

Joplin MO

How many days can you dedicate to getting from Ottawa to Nashville? Taking just the Interstates suggests 2 long days, if you want to get off the beaten path, you will need at least a couple more days. We can get you almost all the way without taking Interstates if you have the time.

Tucson, AZ

Default Different Latitudes, Different Attitudes

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

First off, I-81 is actually one of the more beautiful and intriguing Interstate Highways, following as it does the eastern flank of the Appalachians and connecting many places storied in American history. If you find it boring, then I'm afraid that says more about you than the highway. Be that as it may, there are alternatives. Two of the most scenic two lanes unite end-to-end to cover much of the middle Allegheny Mountains: Skyline Drive and the Blue Ridge Parkway. While they are quite scenic, they do not go through any towns. You'll have to get off them for that. Nevertheless, they are fairly slow, often with speed limits closer to 35 than 65. They will, though take you the length of Virginia. North of there, I generally recommend US-15 down the Susquehanna River in New York and Pennsylvania as a scenic route and US-11 something of a compromise between I-81 and the Blue Ridge Parkway. For an entirely different way back look at some combination of US-19/US-119/US-219.

4. Default

Thanks for the feedback guys :)

We have 10 days allocated for this trip. Here's what were thinking of so far:

- leave Ottawa EARLY on July 2nd, haul ass down to Cookevile using this route. I've done these types of trips myself in one day in the past, this time we'll be 4 people rotating driving shifts.

- Stay with family in Cookeville a few days, celebrate 4th of July (a first for us)

- Leave on Monday (6th) morning for the Smoky Mountains and camp for 2 days, which campsite, we don't know yet. But we'd love to do some fishing. And I grew up in the Canadian boonies, so the more secluded, the better :).

- Then from there we want to take our time back North through Appalachia. This is were I'll need your help :) So we'll have 4 days. I don't mind the last day being a long haul on the Interstate home. Meaning we can take it easy and really take it all in the first 3 days.

I haven't had a chance to look at the routes AZbuck has suggested yet but Skyline Drive and the Blue Ridge Parkway are the two roads that keep coming up. I'll look into that when I get home tonite.

Green County, Wisconsin

Default expect company

The Smokey Mountains are the most visited national park in the US, and especially since you will be traveling the week of July 4, I would expect the park to be very full. You should be looking at making reservations ASAP, and it may be tough to find a really secluded site. If you really want to be by yourself, you might have more luck staying in some of the National Forest Service land in the area.