Default LA - Vegas - SFO - 13 nights... Is it possible?

Hi All, Hope I have put this in the right place ( New to all this so please be kind..;) )
    My husband and I are in our early 30's from the UK and are planning our summer trip to the States. Can I ask you all for some advise please????
    We have 2 weeks and what we had planned was
    3 nights in LA (well around the theme parks - we're big kids!!)
    5 Nights in Vegas (Love it there!)
    1 Night in or around Yeosemite
    4 nigths in SFO
    We have a couple of restrictions which are the dates we are in Vegas, We fly into LAX on the 6th Aug and have to be in Vegas for 5 nights from 9th Aug and we have to fly out of SFO on the 19th Aug, apart from this we are as flexible and easy going as they come!
    Can anyone give us some ideas on where to stay on our bit between Las Vegas and San Fran and is 1 night enough or should we shorten our stay in SFO?
    We would like to see parts of Death Valley and I would like to include the Tioga Pass.
    Sorry to go on but firstly is it possible and or feasible and or wise to do all this, and if not can anyone help me plan better?
    Cheers all

South of England.

Default Not enough.

Hello and welcome to the RTA forums.

Whereas your plan is doable, to include Death valley and Yosemite with time to explore them a little [highly recommended] I would allow at least one more night on this part of your journey. You could drive across DV via Pahrump [160] and the 190 through Furnace creek and Stovepipe wells to the 395 and head North to Lee Vining. Stopping here you would be on the door step of Yosemite and the Tioga pass entrance and with an early start you could explore some of the valley floor and possibly Glacier point. Stay in the park if possible to explore a little more in the morning before heading to SF.
    You won't regret taking an extra night, if anything the only regret will not be having another one!

Hey Southwest Dave,
    Thanks for your ever so quick response..
    Would you then recommend that we stay overnight in Lee Vining for 1 night? If we were to stay longer in or around Yosemite would you have a recommendation for our second night.
    Do you think SFO is doable for 3 nights with 2 full days and a half day (on the day we leave)?
    Thanks again so much for your imput.

South of England.

Default A couple of ideas.

Hi Flopsy,

I have recommended Lee vining for it's close proximity to Yosemite [and Mono lake] but you could stop earlier if you wished, somewhere like Bishop.

You can get lodging inside the park which can be found on there website or outside in Groveland [look up Hotel Charlotte] or Mariposa. For a more rustic feel I have heard good things about the Yosemite bug. You will pay a premium to stay inside the park but it will give you more time to explore it. You would need to book accommodations at the earliest time possible as it does get busy this time of year.

It's surprising what you can see of SF in a couple of days as it is a compact city. You could spend a day in the city, riding trams and going to Union square, China town, Coit tower etc and another on the Wharf [Pier '39] and take a tour to Alcatraz which I highly recommend, but once again you will need to book in advance through the National park service.

Near the beach NSW

This tour is great to absorb and appreciate the whole San Francisco culture and sights while having a great time!!!

Urban safari will book your alcatraz tickets and drop you off at the wharf after the tour.
    Last edited by Southwest Dave; 05-19-2009 at 07:37 AM. Reason: Preferred link format.