1. Default First Time Road Tripster

Hi everyone

M husband and I have never taken a road trip in the USA so we're looking for some advice.

There are a number of places I would love to visit and would like to travel east - West, but not sure how much we could pack into 3 weeks.

Ideally, we'd like to fly into NYC and out of SFO and see the following:

Cape Cod, Boston, Washington DC, St Louis Arch, Chicago, Mount Rushmore, Rockies, Yellowstone National Park, Yosemite.

Not sure what route would be best for all of these and whether 3 weeks is a little ambitious.

Would appreciate any advice.

Western/Central Massachusetts

Default Welcome!

Welcome to the RoadTrip America Forum!

It takes about a week to travel from coast to coast in the USA, so you are okay there. I think three weeks is a good amount of time to fit in the locations that you've listed. You might not be able to get really in depth with these areas, but neither will you be overly pressed for time.

Sticking with the Interstates would be more conducive to this type of trip. From New York up to Cape Cod and Boston you'd want to follow I-95. The primary route on Cape Cod is US-6 and will take you all the way to Provincetown if you want. Head back from there up to Boston on MA-3.

From Boston to Washington, DC, the main route is I-95. There are alternate routes, especially if you'll be looking to avoid the traffic around New York City (be forewarned that cities such as Boston, New York, and Washington, D.C. have very heavy traffic during weekdays 6-10am and 2-6pm).

From Washington to Chicago would be the next leg, I-270 to I-70 to I-68 and the hills of Western Maryland, I-79 to I-70 to I-65 out of Indianapolis, or you could remain on I-70, to I-76, to I-80 then I-90 into Chicago.

Chicago to Saint Louis is I-55, which overlays that famous American road, US-66.

This should get you started. In just this half of your journey, you'll have gone from ocean to mountain to the more subtle landscape of the Midwest. At this point, you still have the Great Plains to cross until the Rocky Mountains start to rise from the horizon, filling your windshield with a sight both majestic and imposing.