Default November Road Trip out West

Hi folks,
    I'm planning a road trip in November 2009 starting in Houston Texas.
    The main stops I was thinking of along the way are:
    Wichita, KS
    Denver, CO
    Grand Junction, CO
    Las Vegas, NV
    San Francisco, CA
    Los Angeles, CA
    Phoenix, AZ
    Roswell, NM
    San Antonio, TX
    And back to Houston.
    Starting November 10th & back in Houston November 22nd.

The main area of concern I have is Denver to Las Vegas.
    I have split the trip up with a stop at Grand Junction, to be able to evaluate the weather before going over Vail Pass. but if the weather was clear at Grand junction is there another place further along the route but within a days drive from Denver that we could stop.
    I will be driving a 4x4 and packing chains, but not the most practical 4x4, a 2007 Jeep grand Cherokee SRT8.
    I don't have a lot of snow driving experience and am hoping that the worst of the weather doesn't really start hitting hard in mid November.
    Any advice on this and thoughts of interesting stops along the way would be most appreciated.

Steve

Default Should be a gorgeous time of the year!

Quote Originally Posted by RoKDoG View Post
    Hi folks,
    I'm planning a road trip in November 2009 starting in Houston Texas.
    Should be a lovely time to be on the road! Heavy snow (usually) isn't that much of an issue in November.
    The main area of concern I have is Denver to Las Vegas.
    I have split the trip up with a stop at Grand Junction, to be able to evaluate the weather before going over Vail Pass
    Um... I don't understand -- if you are going west-bound from Denver you'll have passed Vail to reach Grand Junction.
    but if the weather was clear at Grand junction is there another place further along the route but within a days drive from Denver that we could stop.
    There are several places

The stretch of I-70 between the state line and I-15 is one of my favorite roads in America. Check out this field report.
    I don't have a lot of snow driving experience
    Here are some tips

Mark

Default Being Prepared

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

Even considering the possibility of running into weather puts you well ahead of the preparations that many drivers will have made. But rest assured that there will be plenty of opportunities for you to pull up for the night should enough snow start to fall to make you uncomfortable. There are moderately sized cities every hundred miles or so along your route: Grand Junction, Green River and Richmond, each of which will have lodging options. In addition there will be motels at exits between those 'major' cities. Keep your radio tuned to local stations for the weather and keep your eyes on the sky. Since you know that you'll need to stop for the night in any case between Denver and Las Vegas, you might as well do it when and where will give you the greatest peace of mind.

AZBuck

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Sedenquist View Post
    Um... I don't understand -- if you are going west-bound from Denver you'll have passed Vail to reach Grand Junction.
    Mark
    Oops my mistake, see that's why I am here.

Thanks for the info so far, very useful

Steve

Default A lot to get through !

Hi Steve,

Any advice on this and thoughts of interesting stops along the way would be most appreciated.
    What sort of things interest you ? You will be going through some amazing scenery and passing many wonderful National parks but you are not going to have a lot of time for detours. Running your route through the mapping program shows your route to be in the region of 4,500 miles. Over 12 days you will need to cover 375 miles every day to keep on track, which is just under 7 hours on the road per day with short stops. It's certainly doable but if you want to spend more than a few hours and stay the night in each of the places you mentioned it will put more time pressures on other days.
    If you are happy with that, then go for it, but if you want some downtime and explore a little more then maybe Vegas would be a good turn around point.

The main places we're interested in are Vegas, San Francisco & LA.
    I have done the I 40 / I 10 route to Vegas before so just want to take different route.
    Houston to Vegas will be drive, sleep, eat drive.
    Of course the scenery across I 70 is big part of taking that route.
    And again on the way back after we leave LA/Phoenix area it will be ride, sleep, eat drive again.
    There is 2 of us sharing driving and we're not adverse to a 9 or 10 hour drive and 600 miles of necessary.
    Just being out on the open road is as much fun for us as the places we see.
    Plan on 2 nights in Vegas, SF & LA and drive our asses off the rest of the way.
    But we'll have frequent stops, I have an SRT8 it only gets about 14mpg Hwy LOL

If you are not averse to making a speed run, you *CAN* make it from Houston to LV in 3 long days of driving via Wichita and Denver. It's 1875 miles. Get a very early start and try to make it to Salina the first night and Glenwood Springs or Grand Junction the second night.