1. Default Road trip with our dog

My wife and I are planning a road trip in our car from NY to South America and are planning to bring our 6 year old Golden Retriever with us (she is very well trained but not a Service dog). Can anyone give us some advice on how easy/hard it is to travel cross country with a dog in regards to lodging, camping, parks, etc... both in the US and South America?
    We heard that in the US they are pretty strict when it comes to being on a leash, swimming in lakes/rivers in parks, etc... Don't have any info yet on South America.

South of England.

Default A start.

Hello and welcome to the R.T.A. forums !

I am sorry but I am no dog expert but you can find great info in the forums by using the search button. I think it is important to think ahead and if you have an itinerary search for dog friendly hotels etc on route and take contact numbers if you don't want to book ahead. A quick search gave some usefull info on taking your pet across the border[Mexico anyway] and here at RTA some great tips to make your dog feel at home. It is recommended that you contact each embassy regarding requirements for other countries.

I am not sure about strictness levels and they probably vary from place to place but there should be notices around telling you what is required.
    Last edited by Southwest Dave; 04-16-2009 at 10:35 AM. Reason: Added link

Green County, Wisconsin

Default crossing

Welcome to the RTA Forum!

Bringing a dog can be a bit more restrictive in the US. Most national parks do not allow dogs on trails, for example, but there are still plenty of places that will accomidate travelers with pets.

However, I think your biggest challenge will be traveling across multiple borders with a dog. You'll have to do some research here, as a trip like this can be fairly tricky with border crossing requirements anyway, adding an animal will certainly add to the red tape.

You also need to figure out how you'll solve the Darien Gap problem, as there are no roads from Panama into Columbia, so however you ship yourself and your car, that option will have to allow dogs too.

Washington state coast/Olympic Peninsula

Default Lots more info available

Check out this post. There are quite a few links that should answer many of your questions or at least point you in the right direction.

It sounds like a great trip. I hope you'll post more details about it.