1. Default

Help! I am new to the forum and can't figure out how to simply post a question without it being a response to someone else's post.

I'm looking on various screens and I dont see a place that says "Submit a new post".

Please direct me so I can ask my question and put in in the correct thread. Which is closer to Palm Desert (near Palm Springs CA), San Diego or LAX? We want the shortest trip from Palm Desert to an airport to get us back to NY

One more point...I've heard that Palm Desert is about 2 hrs to San Diego airport and that LAX is closer to three hrs from Palm Desert/Palm Springs.

Anybody know the real travel times?

Last edited by Midwest Michael; 04-12-2009 at 09:00 PM. Reason: created new thread, merged posts

Green County, Wisconsin

Default basics

Welcome to the RTA Forum!

Well, first for the easy part, if you hit "create new thread" from the menu of any of the forums, you'll start your own topic. If you have any other questions, I'd take a look at the Questions and Comments About Using this Forum section.

As far as the closest airport to get back to NY, I'd be looking at the Ontario airport. That's going to be much closer than any other airport, other than Palm Spring itself, but ususally has prices that are competative with LAX.

LAX and San Diego airports are almost exactly the same distance, both about 130 miles away. The direct way to LA is all freeways, but you're running directly into LA traffic. San Diego involves either taking some 2 lane mountain roads over to I-15 or adding about 30 miles to the trip by sticking to freeways. In ideal conditions, LAX would be faster to get to, but your odds of seeing traffic problems are higher. San Diego a little less likely to see major traffic issues and I personally think San Diego is a much nicer airport to fly out of.

Its pretty equal between those two major airport and I would be factoring at least 3 hours for the drive, and more if you are traveling during a peak time of day.

Joplin MO

Ontario is just as cheap as LAX, but there are no nonstops to NYC. All flights involve a connecting flight. Several airlines service Ontario - and you can get to either EWR, LGA, or JFK - with one or two plane changes somewhere. Palm Desert to Ontario is 85 miles, should be less than an hour and a half unless it's morning rush hour.

Driving to San Diego *should* be easier than to LAX, but that is not the case right now. I-15 is torn up pretty bad all the way from Escondido to Miramar with a widening project and traffic is pretty nasty.