1. Default How's my trip look?

Hi,

Been checking out this great site for a couple of days to help with our trip. Fantastic resource guys, thanks! Just wanted to get some feedback on our plans.

We (me, wife, 2 kids, 7 and 11 yr old) fly into LAX from Australia 6 am, mid Sept. Rest day, hang out around Venice Beach/ Santa Monica, maybe head up Hollywood/ Bev. Hills for the afternoon. Back to the beach for the night.

Day2 Disneyland, stay Anaheim.
    Day3 Drive to Grand Canyon (quick sidetrip through Sedona?) Doable in a day?
    Day 4 Grand Canyon
    Day 5 Vegas
    Day6 Vegas
    Day7 Early start to Sequoia Park via Death Valley. Doable?
    Day 8 Drive to Yosemite
    Day9 Yosemite
    Day10 Drive to Lake Taupo
    Day 11 Lake Taupo
    Day 12-14 San Francisco. (3 nights)
    Day 15-16 Big Sur to LA (2 nights, stopping Monterey and Santa Barbara)

This leaves us 2 spare days (18 total) to adjust plans if necessary.

We would also like to see, if possible
    1)Monument Valley and Antelope Canyon/Page. Is this a possible day trip, say from Grand Canyon to Vegas, or even going up into Utah via 95 to Torrey for night, then down the 12 through Zion NP to Vegas.
    2)Giant coastal Redwoods, will we see these on Big Sur or is it worth going from Lake Taupo and taking a night to go up the coast before coming into SF.

I realise I am trying to chew a pretty big bite, and am happy to miss the above two options if you think it's just to much. Being Australian we are used to doing long drives, but hard to gauge travel times in another country.
    Any opinions and recommendations are greatly appreciated as we are still in the early stages of planning, the whole thing could change!!

BTW, we booked on impulse due to very cheap flights, not knowing much about what is around, so started reading up and am blown away by the incredible diversity you guys have in a relatively small area (by Oz standards). Looks beautiful and can't wait to check it out!

Cheers.

Default a little more research

Welcome to the RTA Forum!

I think you'd be doing yourself a favor by taking a closer look of a map of the area. You've got a plan you can work with, but there are a few things that you'll want to change.

First, LA to Grand Canyon is a full 10 hour day on the road, and there really won't be time for a detour to Sedona on this leg. You'll need all day for this leg, and when you consider that you're looking at another 5-6 hours for the Grand Canyon back to Vegas drive, you might want to spend 2 nights here, and continue onto Vegas the next morning. If you want to add in Monument Valley and Zion, you'll obviously be looking at even more time to this area.

It is really too far to try and see Sequoia the same day you leave Vegas going direct, which is already about a 10 hour day. Trying to add in Death Valley makes it impossible to do it all during daylight hours.

Lake Taupo? The only place I can find with this name is in New Zealand. Perhaps you are talking about Tahoe? If that is the case, you should probably do that before Sequoia and Yosemite, so you're not going back and forth over the Sierras multiple times. You might even leave this leg out so you can have more time to enjoy yourself. You've got a very quick pace going, and I'd be afraid of dealing with some burnout, especially with your kids.

Finally, Redwoods National Park is located on the coast a few hundred miles north of San Francisco. This is a very different part of the coast from the Big Sur section, but you can't really fit it in without massively changing your plans.

Default Some long days.

Whereas your trip is doable you have some long journeys included[as Michael has pointed out] that are not "child friendly".

Day 3 with Sedona, and day 7 are a no, no and realistically will take your 2"free day's" up.

If it were me I would break the journey to the GC up going through Sedona and stopping overnight on route and stop between DV and Seqouia.

You could go through Page to Zion NP from the GC and then to Vegas on I-15 instead of Tahoe as an option.

4. Default

Thanks for the tips. Road travel in these areas must be slower than what I am used to here in Australia, so I appreciate the feedback.

I might give Sedona a miss and just fang it to the GC from LA. Stay 2 nights.

Any advice on the following options.

1)GC to Zion via Page, stay 1 night then to Vegas, 2 nts. (or just straight to LV). Unless it would better to spend a night around Sedona on route to GC. Keen to see some interesting desert landscapes, so it is one or the other (or DV)

Then either,
    2a)LV to Bakersfield via DV, stay 1 nt. Bakersfield to Yosemite via Sequoia, 2 nts, then to Lake Tahoe, 2 nts, then SF.
    OR
    2b)LV to Big Pine/Bishop via DV, 1 nt then onto Lake Tahoe, 2nts, then Yosemite,2 nts, then SF.

Michael, yes, Lake Taupo is in New Zealand, and following your recommendation, I’ll leave that for another holiday.

Thanks again, I appreciate it.

Default Well, speed limits are enforced and then there is traffic!

Quote Originally Posted by Whitelinefever View Post
    Thanks for the tips. Road travel in these areas must be slower than what I am used to here in Australia,
    It can get pretty expensive if you try to exceed the posted speed limits here in the USA.

1)GC to Zion via Page, stay 1 night then to Vegas, 2 nts. (or just straight to LV). Unless it would better to spend a night around Sedona on route to GC. Keen to see some interesting desert landscapes, so it is one or the other (or DV)
    Yeah, I'd do the Zion route -- you'll need to leave very early in the morning to include Zion since there will be lots of tourist traffic in Zion.
    OR
    2b)LV to Big Pine/Bishop via DV, 1 nt then onto Lake Tahoe, 2nts, then Yosemite,2 nts, then SF.
    Hands down this is a far more scenic route!

Mark