1. Default Las Vegas. Southern Arizona, New Mexico

Planning a 3 week trip next April. Would like to fly in to Las Vegas spend couple days there then explore southern Arizona and possibly into New Mexico. Thinking to include Sedona, Tuscon, Nogales, Bisbee, Sierra Vista, Tombstone + any National Parks on way. Have been to Grand Canyon (twice) so not on list of places to visit. Any possible routes would be appreciated. Thanks.

Tucson, AZ

Default An Arizona Loop

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

Assuming you want to end up back in Las Vegas to keep the cost of the rental car and flights down, let me offer this suggestion for a loop around Arizona. From Las Vegas, head down US-93 over the Hoover Dam, and perhaps take a side trip on one of the longest remaining stretches of old Route 66. Then I-10 will take you to Tucson where Saguaro National Park, the Arizona-Sonora Desert Museum, and perhaps Old Tucson would be of interest. At this time, I think I'd take a pass on Nogales due to random and unpredictable violence associated with drug wars on the Mexican side and instead head for Sierra Vista by way of Benson and take in Kartchner Caverns on AZ-90.

From Sierra Vista AZ-90/AZ-80 will take you through the San Pedro Riparian National Conservation Area to Bisbee. After your visit there, take AZ-80 back north to Tombstone.

Next up is some of Arizona's non-desert area. Take AZ-80 back to Benson, then I-20 east to US-191 where you'll head north through Safford and up the Coronado Trail through the Apache-Sitgreaves National Forest to Springerville and US-60 west. Then use AZ-260 west through Show Low to Payson, continuing to Camp Verde and Montezuma Castle National Monument. AZ-179 would then take you to Sedona and AZ-89A would take you from there north through Oak Creek Canyon back up to Flagstaff and I-40. If you still have a little time before you have to return to Las Vegas , there are things to see and do besides the Grand Canyon in this area.

Unfortunately, the above doesn't include any of New Mexico, but if you feel that you really want to see some of that state as well, and have the time, just speak up and maybe we can offer some other suggestions.

3. Default

Thanks for your prompt response and the advice.
    We think we now have a possible route slightly different from our original thoughts!
    2 nights Phoenix
    2 nights Prescott
    2 nights Cottonwood
    1 night Payson
    2 nights Alpine
    1 night Safford
    1 night Tombstone
    2 nights Tuscon
    2 nights Globe

We would really like to add another 7 days to our trip so any further suggestions would be very welcome!