Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 42
  1. #1

    Default Best cars to sleep in?

    Looking into buying myself a new car. Any ideas?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Tucson, AZ
    Posts
    7,962

    Default Pullmans

    Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

    Seriously, no car is comfortable to sleep in. That's not what they're made for. There are so many other things that you should be taking into consideration, even if this car is intended to serve mostly as a RoadTrip vehicle, that sleeping comfort should be about 23rd on the list after mileage, driving comfort, visibility, safety, range, reliability, cost, passenger and cargo capacity, etc., etc., etc.

    AZBuck

  3. #3
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Green County, Wisconsin
    Posts
    10,961

    Default an impossible question

    If there was a consensous for the best car to do anything, you wouldn't have as many companies and models as there are out there.

    For types, I'd say you'd need to be looking at a van/suv/wagon/pickup type vehicle where you can fully lay out in the cargo area. But saying anything beyond that purely gets into personal preferences.

    However, the question itself is kind of like asking what bed makes the best trampoline. It can get make it work to get the job done, but you're really asking a car to be something that its not.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Joplin MO
    Posts
    7,423

    Default

    That question is easy - a full size conversion van.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    South Central Orange County
    Posts
    242

    Default "Sport" wagons

    If you're looking for a car and not a van, a station wagon (currently called "sport wagon" because "station wagon" is so passe) is the best option. There aren't many left to choose from, especially if you're looking for a new car. The Subaru Outback/Legacy wagons are nice cars, but I've never tried to sleep in one. My wife's '04 Mazda MPV has a second row seat that combines with the front passenger's seat to make a bed, but I haven't tried sleeping on it, either.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    London, England
    Posts
    1,364

    Default

    Over the past summer I slept in half a dozen different cars. Out of all of them I can (surprisingly) recommend the Sebring. The front seats recline almost flat and, with a bag on the footwell to support your legs, it was seriously comfortable to sleep in. Much more so than my tent.

  7. #7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AZBuck View Post
    Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

    Seriously, no car is comfortable to sleep in. That's not what they're made for. There are so many other things that you should be taking into consideration, even if this car is intended to serve mostly as a RoadTrip vehicle, that sleeping comfort should be about 23rd on the list after mileage, driving comfort, visibility, safety, range, reliability, cost, passenger and cargo capacity, etc., etc., etc.

    AZBuck
    Buck knows what he's talking about. We've all slept in cars a couple times, most likely when we were young, stupid and/or broke. A car doesn't let you stretch out properly, you'll have no bathroom facilities and no shower, and you'll have no climate control -- a tent allows for venting, so it is infinitely more comfortable than a car. Car-sleeping is often attempted at less-than-safe spots, so that's an issue too.

  8. #8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MrsPete View Post
    A car doesn't let you stretch out properly, you'll have no bathroom facilities and no shower, and you'll have no climate control -- a tent allows for venting, so it is infinitely more comfortable than a car. Car-sleeping is often attempted at less-than-safe spots, so that's an issue too.
    can't disagree on not being able to stretch

    Flying J can take care of the rest

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Washington state coast/Olympic Peninsula
    Posts
    3,319

    Default For every night or once in awhile?

    I would never plan to sleep in my car every night of a trip. Stretching out in the tent is far better. But, in a pinch, I've slept in my New Beetle. With the seat back, and a pillow under my knees, the passenger seat is great and lets me elevate my legs on the dash. For shorter naps, leaning back in the driver's seat is fine.

    But I also agree AZBuck and the other factors are most important.

    Truck stops lying Flying J seem to be quite safe. A young woman who used to post here a lot has used her car for sleeping at these truck stops regularly and has always been safe. Just like anywhere, you must use some common-sense.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    South Central Orange County
    Posts
    242

    Default Sebring? Whodathunkit?

    Quote Originally Posted by UKCraig View Post
    Over the past summer I slept in half a dozen different cars. Out of all of them I can (surprisingly) recommend the Sebring. The front seats recline almost flat and, with a bag on the footwell to support your legs, it was seriously comfortable to sleep in. Much more so than my tent.
    That's a great piece of info for those who rent cars (as the Sebrings fill many rental fleets). I'd never have guessed they were so comfortable, and I rented one last year to drive over a thousand miles through Washington and BC.

    I can attest to the fact that an overloaded 1979 Honda Civic is NOT a comfortable car to sleep in. My brother and I found this out as we were caught in a torrential downpour near Astoria, Oregon on our way back from BC years ago.

Similar Threads

  1. 2 weeks in June - any opinions on our schedule?
    By all_in in forum Planning Summer RoadTrips
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 03-20-2008, 10:07 AM
  2. Chasing Cars: "hmm... we should go to Spa next weekend."
    By UKCraig in forum RoadTrip Field Reports
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 09-19-2007, 12:52 PM
  3. Looking for Opinions on My Planned NH->WA->SoCal Roadtrip (July 2007)
    By Nick from New England in forum Planning Summer RoadTrips
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 06-22-2007, 05:24 PM
  4. Chasing Cars: Houston/Talladega (and the Deep South/Texas)
    By UKCraig in forum RoadTrip Field Reports
    Replies: 55
    Last Post: 05-08-2007, 09:42 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • EmailTwitterFacebookMore!

    RoadTrip Reservations
    Fuel Cost Calculator