Default Anticipating a no destination solo road trip in June

Hi, I'm new to the forum, found it while researching road trips today.

I was looking forward to traveling with my fiancee this summer, buuut she left me last week and my travel plans are now going to be solo. I'm really liking the idea of traveling alone for a few days with no destination. I live in northwest Indiana and am looking to head west. Should have a span of five days in June or July. I've read a few posts about solo trips ( specifically) and am open to tips, suggestions for destinations, routes, etc.

Tucson, AZ

Default (Don't) Go West, Young Man

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

While I certainly understand the allure of the west as a destination, and I certainly have not found my drives through the Midwestern plains rewarding, I'm not sure that with only 5 days at your disposal, spending 4 days (2 each way) to cross the prairie for one day in the Rockies is the best use of your time. I think you'd be much better served by heading south or east (or both). For example, a 5 day swing through the south could easily include St. Louis, Memphis, Vicksburg and New Orleans on a drive along the Mississippi on the Great River Road, and then head home up the Natchez Trace Parkway, across Tennessee to the Great Smoky Mountains and then home via Mammoth Cave. Or you could head east to see the great historic cities of Washington, Philadelphia, New York and Boston and then work your way home through New England, up the St. Lawrence River and the Thousand Islands, Niagara Falls, and Cleveland. I just think you'll find far more to keep you occupied and sooth your soul on those jaunts than you will on a mad dash westward.

Thanks for the recommendations! And I can't say there was a particular reason for wanting to go west, and it seems like it would be more fruitful to head south or east. Leaning towards south out of the two...I've already been to Niagara Falls a few years ago.

Can you tell me more about the Great River Road?

Tucson, AZ

Default Great River Road

The Great River Road is a series of different highways on both sides of the Mississippi that access many of the towns and attractions on the river. The other great road on that trip would be the Natchez Trace Parkway between Natchez, MS and Nashville, TN.