Default Centre of the USA

In 2004 I passed by a marker in northern Kansas to mark the geographical centre of conterminous US. One of those little things you come across without having planned to look for it, or go there.

Recently I read something about a centre of the US marker somewhere in the northern States - Montana? North Dakota? (Yeah, I know, I should have written it down.) I am not sure where I read it, but it was something about a marker being placed where it is easily accessible, but the real spot was actually on a farmer's land, and he had marked it with a flag and all.

Is there anyone here who knows what it is I am trying to describe, and more importantly, where it is?

Lifey who thinks it could be on her planned route

Default South Dakota

The geographic center of the US, including AK and HI, is actually in South Dakota. Specifically, near Belle Fourche on the far western edge of the state. Apparently, there is even some controversy about the site.

The marker for the geographic center of North America is located in Rugby North Dakota.

Default What the heck?

Why not put the new memorial marker at the actual location? I'm thinking the owner might not mind selling that chunk of land. Or, if he does, at least put it as near to the actual location as possible. I will pass on the faux marker.

Default Heh?

$50,000 for a new monument, and I didn't see the word "committee" anywhere in the article!

I do like the technique that was used to determine the location, however.

Yeah!! That's it. That is exactly what I was trying to describe.

Thank you all so very much. I have now found (and marked) it in my road atlas. One more thing on the list.

I believe the area referred to as Badlands is in North Dakota, but where?

Am wondering if I could cover both when driving from Glacier National Park to St Paul MN - with some detours.

Default National Park is South

Badlands National Park is located off I-90 in South Dakota, and hour or so east of Rapid City.

Having said that, there are some areas that are considered badlands in eastern Montana and western North Dakota. 2 of the best areas would be Teddy Roosevelt NP in ND and Makoshika State Park near Glendive Mt.

Default Like the fun....

There is only one track to play as you visit this place - I Go To Extremes - Billy Joel. On my last road trip a Billy Joel CD was one of our favorites along the way.

I don’t know the definitive answer but this is what Wiki says about the subject. And looking at the list there are many more extremes to visit if in the mood.

Geographic center of the 50 states: approximately 20 miles (34 km) north of Belle Fourche, South Dakota, at 44°58′N 103°46′W / 44.967°N 103.767°W / 44.967; -103.767

Geographic center of the 48 contiguous states: approximately 4 miles (6 km) west of Lebanon, Kansas, at 39°50′N 98°35′W / 39.833°N 98.583°W / 39.833; -98.583

Maps courtesy of Google.

Happy travels.

Quote Originally Posted by Eris View Post
    There is only one track to play as you visit this place - I Go To Extremes - Billy Joel. On my last road trip a Billy Joel CD was one of our favorites along the way.
    might give Billy Joel a miss.... my choice is more a song written (I think) by Paul Anka for Frank Sinatra - "I did it My Way".